Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on My Hydro Sans Family

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 1:27

Hi Folks,

photo P1090053_zps3379b84e.jpg

I just wanted to show how big this got. I went away last Fall for 4 days for Hurricane Sandy & when I got back I noticed the taller of these plants was now over 1 ft. tall. It must have just had a growth spurt, or, I guess after not seeing it for a few days suddenly I could see the difference.

For those who may have missed the earlier pix, these are all growing in water & Leca stones only, they have never seen mix & were started from one leaf each of 3 plants in this basket grouping.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't done it for myself.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on My Hydro Sans Family

PG,
That's amazing! It's funny to think Sans can easily rot from overwatering but that you can propagate one like that.

Planto

o

Karen,

When you start them, do you need to let them callus beforehand? And do you use a little diluted plant food?I really would like to try this too These little experiments are fun. Barb

o

I was just thinking the same thing as plantomaniac. Very interesting indeed.
K

o

It all just goes to show you how tough these plants are! They will grow and survive in most conditions and you can propagate them by division, leaf, cut up leaves, and seed. You have to admire this plant.

o

Very nice! :-)
Now...why the tiny pic?!

Josh

o

Hey Everybody,

Planto & Entero, yea, I think it's fascinating, don't know why it works w/out rotting but it does.

Hiya Barb, I've been meaning to get back here to answer. I barely even think about it when I start them. I haven't calloused them & definitely don't use fertilizer. Only recently did I even think to add some dilute fertilizer to their water. I do use Leca stones & don't change the water, I only add to it. If I remember, I throw in some charcoal bits (aquarium grade from the pet store) to help prevent potential algae (preventative, not been a problem thus far).

I've been looking around to see what else I can add to our proposed swap as the H limifolia pups still seem kind of small.

Josh, hey you, fancy meeting you here ;>)

Tiny pic? Not tiny from here, you're the first I've heard say that. I will confess I don't know pic sizing, but all the rest of my seem sized OK here.

Yes, Laura they do seem indestructible don't they? I've seen Sans growing seemingly wild in beds off the highways around Ft. Lauderdale. I remember being surprised by it.

o

Hey! :-)

Oh, several others have mentioned the small pics in the past, primarily as requests for more detail. For a while there, you were posting somewhat larger pics.

Yeah, the pic is tiny...smaller than nearly all other pics posted at GardenWeb. Even when I clicked the pic and went to the album, I didn't see any option to enlarge. On my monitor, your image is 3.5 x 4 inches.

Josh

o

Hey this is way cool, I've been a fan of this experiment too! Sans has turned out to be one of the funnest plants I have to play with, largely thanks to "ideas" I saw/got from PG. Very inspirational pics and discussions. She lured me in here!

I think I said something about the pics being small before. When I see other peoples' pics on PB and click the + thing, they get bigger, but I it won't do that to yours. I've only used it as a viewer, so have no idea why.

o

Hi Folks,

Experimenting here, since it's my own thread. Let's see what size pic this turns out to be.

photo P1090502_zpsd1c3ab10.jpg

am hoping these 2 pics will be clickable:

photo P1090501_zpsdb0d7b1a.jpg

Let's see what happens.

o

Sorry Karen, Not much better. They areclickable, but the pics come up small again.

I still don't have your address. Barb

o

I get the same result.

o

Sorry folks, I don't know what to do otherwise. I played w/ posting other lines code from Photobucket (other than the 3rd line as always), & it just yielded the same copy & pasted code, & no pic.

Hi Barb,

Sorry, as I said above, I haven't sent you my addy yet 'cause those pups still look too small; I'm trying to see what else I can offer that you might like to make it a more equitable trade.

o

Hey Karen, long time no see.

What are Leca Stones?

Jackie

o

Hiya Jackie, long time indeed. I'm pretty well, thx, hope you are too. Saw your question on watering implements & thought Wow, JackieR, long time ...

Leca Stones are used for hydro growing of plants (I forget now if it's fired clay or volcanic rock), but you set that in a vessel of water & then a netted pot inside that to hold the plants, sort of above, w/ roots growing into & among the Leca Stones.

Oh, wait, I've got just the thing to show you this.

This is a pot of Leca stones w/an Anthurium that I've managed to save by switching it to growing in water, from failing in mix.

photo P1090428_zps0c5312e7.jpg

o

Hey, Karen!
What size are the pics that you're uploading? Are you cropping or re-sizing them before you upload to photobucket? In other words, are they full-size (take up the entire browser) when you view them on a computer/laptop?

Josh

o

Hi Josh,

I don't know the size but no, I am not cropping or resizing them. Just a direct copy & paste. But no, the pic doesn't take up the whole screen.

o

Hi Karen,

I started some hoya cuttings in some stones from the pet store, I think they are really for lizard terrariums. Anyway, they started in a matter of a few days. Now I think I will try some sans.

Re: our trade. Not necessary to add more plants. I am having cataract surgery in a couple of weeks, so I was hoping to get my trading done before then. It really doesn't matter one way or the other. Mathilde is sitting here in the kitchen window for you. Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here