Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying leaves

Posted by teena88 california (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 2:32

I finally brought sanseveria plants from home depot. they was doing fine until about a month ago. saw some tiny white particals(could be bugs) on them. now i see many with cluster and my leaves are flopping and turning brown and mushy. almost like water inside. please help. very new to this first house plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying leaves

I'm not sure what to do about the white particles, but I think that the leaf problem you are describing sounds like over watering. The easiest way to kill this plant is by watering too much. Hold off on the watering for a while. This plant likes to get bone dry before it gets watered again. Watering frequency depends on where you are keeping the plant (humidity levels, light levels, etc). I water mine every week and a half to two weeks, but I've heard of people watering as little as once a month. Also, check your pot drainage. I put my plant in a clay pot and that seems to help.

o
RE: dying leaves

Well I have another suggestion, I would take the plant out of the potting soil, and see what those roots look like, it may have had rot when you purchased the plant. If the roots look good, put it back into dry mix and don't water for two weeks, if you are lucky you can save the plant. Check that potting mix, if it has peat moss, no wonder it is dying. I water as little for the whole winter here or they rot, they will not tolerate damp soil, with cold conditions. They need very fast draining soil, and temps. no lower than 55F. Or no water at all from October 1 to April 1 if you live in a cold climate. Some take very low light, other lots of sun. Clay pots do dry out faster, that was excellent advise. Use a chop stick for a water meter or a pencil, put in down into the soil at least 3/4 of the way, lift it out and feel if the bottom is damp. Don't water from the top, it doesn't like water in its face. (vase) I made my share of mistakes over the years, but I learned from them. Good luck with your plant. Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here