Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phaxy

is it rare thing?

phaxy
15 years ago

Its belong to me since 2 years ago, many friends told me that this pinguicula is a rare one. is it true?

[IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/kaclant/CIMG0718.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (8)

• stokesjl
    15 years ago

no idea how rare it is, but i've never seen one in person. but then again, i'm stuck in the middle of iowa.

that aside, that is a cool looking sans! love the pot its in.

• reiver
    15 years ago

They are not real common but they can be found on eBay and internet dealers for a decent price (of course the eBay price sometimes gets out of hand). "Walking" Sansevieria is a nickname for it. I have a smaller one on tripod legs. Visitors to my home always ask about it.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

I don't know how rare really, but not commonly found & I don't shop online or Ebay.

My last Boyfriend had given me one (w/ a young pup attached). Unfortunately, over time I lost first the parent & then later the pup.

A caution for anyone thinking of getting one, those points are extremely sharp; my fella got one stuck under his thumbnail on the plane while bringing it to NY. I subsequently learned to put styrofoam peanuts on the points whenever I had to take the plant anywhere, like to Show & Tell at Plant Mtg & then to a talk I gave on Sans. plants at another plant mtg.

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

Variegation in this species is extremely rare. depending on how the variegtion shows up and is it even, with good contrast. Natural variegation even more so.
    This plant can run in the thousands depending if there is a buyer. It is easy to grow, if you don't overwater. Norma

• elsier
    15 years ago

That is a great tip, pirate girl. I keep my Sans pinguicula at the back of the shelf, but it still manages to stab me occasionally. I am going to look for some styrofoam peanuts right away!

Thanks,
    Elsie
    ps I may also try it on Sans cylindrica and Sans ballyii.

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

It is a San. Pinguicula. Does it have a gray/blue bloom (coating on the leaves) Or is it the green variety? They can look like an Agave or Aloe, but not teeth on the leaf edges, they will have stilt legs that may root down in it's neighbors pot and the baby goes off in the air on a pencil slim stem, they are very slow in growth at first. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

I just noticed that a baby is starting off in the air, this plant I going to put in the National CSSA Show. It is the blue form and three heads in the pot. This is very scary for me as I'm a novice at showing plants.
    This species is available if you really looks for it. It seldom offsets for me, and I have three pots of them, but not found in WallMart, Home Depot, Target stores.
    In 1990 I paid $25 for a tiny little three leaf plant, but it grew into a nice blue rosette. Good luck on your search, it a part of the fun.
    The leaves will not have any teeth, sorry I should have mentioned that. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

It depends where you live. The are available in speciality nursery's a little pricy about $25.00 for a very small plant, worth having, it is slow, I hope you are young, they will look grayish and like an Agave or Aloe, forming a rosette of leaves that have a sharp needle at the apex (tip) of each leaf, they are famous for the walking silt syle of rooting. They are very stylish plants, I wish I couuld show mine for you but can't put picture directly on this forum. Norma

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional