Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tf__drone

Sans ID please

tf.-drone
14 years ago

Dear forum,

here are two photos of one of my Sansevieria. I know it comes from South Africa.

The rhizome grows underground - in this case the plant is potted too high. The leaves hac a length of ca. 40 cm. It has not yet flowered since I have it.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

The whole plant: {{gwi:1250645}}
The leaf markings: {{gwi:1250647}}

All the best, Hellmuth

Comments (5)

• Michaela
    14 years ago

Hellmuth,
    Sansevieria masoniana

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

That was my guess, but there are others that look just like it. Where did it come from in Africa, what does it feel like. What color are the leaf sheaths when new, what is the width of the leaf, and how do you know that it came from Africa, and not out of Wal Mart. There are many look alikes. Be cautious, in naming this genus, let alone the species names.S conspicua, longfolia, horwoodii, elliptica, and several more. Sorry I can't in good concious name it. Norma

• tf.-drone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Norma,

thanks for your comment - it came form South Africa, as I indeed wrote in the 1st sentence. It cannot come from Wal-Mart, since there are virtually none here in Germany. In fact, it came from the botanical garden in Berlin.

Hmmm what do you mean, "naming the genus"? The genus is definitely Sansevieria. I am looking for the species name. I know that it is difficult to name a sans, which is the reason I asked.

Anyway, it has a label know, S. hyacinthoides. At least until the next flower, which I have not yet seen.

All the best, Hellmuth

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Helmouth, I do apoligize, I did mix up a word. When you purhcased it at the Botanical Garden in Germany why didn't it have a name. I was only giving you suggestions of what it could be. I am not a botantist so do not name plants. So many of the people here in the US buy their plants at Wal Mart or Target. I am so glad that you posted the name, that may perhaps help me as well, as I have 300 Sansevieria, mine are documented plants. Not all species, many are hybrids, but are documentated as to parents. Many of us buy plants in Europe, Africa, India, Madagascar, and have them mailed to us. Thank you Helmouth, and the best to you as well. I hope we can be a help to each other in the future. I did the best as I could without information, Norma

• tf.-drone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Norma,

I decided on S. hyancinthoides myself, for several reasons, mainly after reading Juan' book. The Botanical Garden itself had given only a number (which got lost before it arrived here) since they were not sure what it is. Still, I need to see a flower and new growth. I know better now where and after what to look.

All the best, Hellmuth