Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cghpnd

too big of a pot?

cghpnd
10 years ago

I can't find a direct answer to my question so I'm turning here where I know I will be given accurate information.

This guy is my second plant I bought when I started my love for plants (about 3 months ago).

I've been trying to read everything I can about all types of plants and well I think others experiences will be the best for my question(s).
Is this pot too big for the plant? I repotted with perlite and cactus palm mix from HD. It was more perlite than the potting soil.
The tips of a few of them seem to be harden up and breaking off. With others experiences what are some tips for his care because im obviously doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Not at all, there's barely room in there for new pups to emerge. Looks fine to me! Could you add another pic that shows the problem with the tips?

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry If they are up side down

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry If they are up side down

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And I just seen this too. On the edges of them seem to be cracking or really dry whereas before I repotted it, it wasn't like that.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And I just seen this too. On the edges of them seem to be cracking or really dry whereas before I repotted it, it wasn't like that.

10 years ago

Looks like mechanical damage. If a tip is bent, it will look normal for a long time, days/weeks, until the damage is finally visible, much longer than it would take on most other plants. Frost bite can also do that, if that possibly happened to your plant.

That last pic - did you sneeze when you took it? Not trying to get down on you, but it's so fuzzy, I just giggled when I saw it, cuz I couldn't SEE it. Please tell it's not a total bi-focal failure on my part!

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL sorry. I guess i should look at the pics clearly before I post them.

I took another and its better than the last haha..

What does mechanical damage mean?
    The plant has been inside since the day I bought it.

10 years ago

Smiles! I just put a really fuzzy pic in another discussion. Hope it gets some giggles too!

Mechanical = something that happened to it, like getting bent, scratched, something chewed on it a long time ago... something other than a virus, disease, current/ongoing pest problem.

When leaves get beat-up looking, they are unable to heal. If you don't like their appearance, you can cut them off at the soil level, (and use them to make new plants.) There are also pics of propagating in water around this forum if you do a search...

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm sounds like what happened then. After all I got it from Lowes on a Saturday evening when the rush calmed down . lol....So I wouldn't even have to pull the whole plant out of the container to propagate the leaves? I read the thread you posted, thanks a lot, it was very informative. I have a few other little plants that I would like to try this on before I go messing with big guy. I love these plants. And I do want more of them so maybe this is fro me. I think it will go well . After all I am only 4 months into this LOL..

10 years ago

Glad you're having fun with your new plants! That's what it's all about.

Don't feel bad about the mechanical damage, these things happen. I dropped a big 5-gallon bucket of Sans upside down and bent the tips of about half of the leaves. In time, it will look like it did again.

"So I wouldn't even have to pull the whole plant out of the container to propagate the leaves?" That's right, you can just cut them off.

Just ask if you get stuck or confused. Are your other little plants also Sans?

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love these plants. I use to HATE all plants, flowers and anything dealing with a garden.
    I really enjoy plants now. But I think I am lusting for them as I have over 70 and been at this for 4 months at the most (lol) They are plants that I can deal with.

WOW that's a big bucket to drop.

Ok so I am going to cut one off tomorrow. I will do it to the soil line. Thanks for the advice and your willingness to help. I have 5 smaller ones, in 4 inch pots. they are all different too.