Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roberto2_gw

New hahnii cultivar???

roberto2
11 years ago

Hallo, I am new in the forum. I received this plant from Thailand, labelled as "S.hahnii crested". Never seen before and I have no ideas what kind of cultivar could be. Help!!

(The link below is from Infojardin Forum: sorry, I don't know how to place my fotos here!)

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/showthread.php?p=6374364#post6374364

Comments (7)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

I looked over the photos. Don't know if the term 'Crested' applies here but it is different that any I have seen. Very dense and thick. Leaves seem narrower than species. I know Karen would love this one but I like variegation in mine. But you got a lovely find there. I would treat it like any regular hahnii. Make sure it is in well draining mix. Not the mix they usually sell them in and keep on the dry side like any sans. Out of drafts and no colder than 50 degree nights. Hope to see more of it in future.

• bonsaigai
    11 years ago

To me, this looks similar to 'Loop's Pride'. Your plant appears to have crests or fasciations associated with the mid-rib (or about that location). I have only seen both this and Loops in pictures so I can't say they are the same.

As there are quite a few new cultivars coming out of Thailand right now, it could indeed be different.

Like Stush said, keep it warm and on the dry side. I hear that Loops is very sensitive to over watering.

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

That's one pretty Sans.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Roberto,

Welcome to this forum, interesting plant, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Sorry, but I've never heard of a crested Sans. I don't see what's crested about it, it seems low growing & multi-leafed as I can see from here.

Oh Norma, are you around pls? Do you know about this?

Anyway, you've been given excellent advice above, I'd follow that.

• roberto2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all of You. Here are the photos (I realized the HTML code is needed to upload them...)

It is really new for me, if a few photos of this cv are shown on G...gle Image. As far as I know this plant originated in Thailand and , in facts,I received it from a Thai nursery. Leaves are hard and thick, very unlike hahnii�s. Looks more like a hybrid (but between which species?)I am curious to make some leaf cuttings, just to see if they come out true.

11 years ago

Roberto,
    Keep a look out for pups. New growth from the roots. It is interesting to see what develops. Also I do believe it will come true from stem cuttings as does regular hahnii does but also would love to see what develops.
    Please don't disappear. I would like to see what happens. I don't believe it is a hybrid but a cultivar. They grow hundreds of hahnii in Thailand and look for any changes that may be of interest. Their growing conditions for Sans is excellent. I hope they become popular here so I may get one sometime in the future.
    Stush

11 years ago

Roberto must have disappeared. Hope you come back. I was relooking over those pictures. I believe if the top soil was removed, you would see the crest from the top of the rhizone. Way too many leaves to be normal. I would love to see more photos. Roberto??