Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bibbus

masoniana

bibbus 7b
10 years ago

About two years ago I over watered my masoniana sanseveria and had to repot it. I lost about half of my individual plants and when I repotted they were not vertical. I staked them and did all I could to get them to look right but as you can see they are tilted and don't look very nice. Even the new growth is not very pleasing. Any suggestions to get them to stand up straight? (I sound like my mother).

Comments (6)

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

bibbus,
    Sounds silly, but perhaps tie some string around some "sticks" (not sure if you can find chop sticks that won't mold in the soil... I have yet to), maybe about four of them, and place them around the pot, creating a "support" (I'm thinking a square of string would do nicely). to keep them upright would work. Would have to make the sticks tall enough so the string grabs that section that's leaning over so bad. Once they get enough of a root system going, they should stay in that upright position.

Planto

• bibbus 7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

unfortunately they are completely rooted in place. I did that when I first repotted them but after I removed the support, they started growing sideways. I guess I will just have to try to repot them again but the root system will be sticking up in the air, I'm afraid. Thanks for your suggestion. I wondered if putting them in more sun might help. They are in bright but not direct sun.

• gulcoa2x
    10 years ago

relax, any new pups will be upright if in good light, and your plant does not need division this year unless you are going to trade

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

I'm going with more light!
    And agreeing with gulcoa
    The new plants should stand up
    U can cut off the old crooked growth once you have ample new growth

I've never grown mason Congo but the plant in your pic looks like it wants more light to me, my futura send up vase shaped plants in insufficient light, it looks like the unpleasant looking growth on yours...
    It certainly doesn't look like it need repoting, so I wouldn't.
    I would inch it into more light, dappled direct sun being the best for my sans... But some direct sun for sure!
    In a month, I would start trimming out the crappy old growth, and root the old leaves, it's very easy, and a waste of sans to trash em!
    Send em to another GW member if you don't want them, they are pretty desirable in my book!
    About the same time I got the plant settled into more sun, I would start pushing low doses of fertilizer with every watering, very low, 1/8 strength, working up to 1/4 strength by fall, and drop off to 1/8 again for winter

Hope your plants ok. : c

• bibbus 7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never thought of fertilizing. I will give them more light gradually and see what happens. No worries about throwing them away!!! I paid a lot for two leaves 15 years ago at the Philly Flower Show and even trimming them would be very hard for me to do. I'll see what happens when I increase the light and fertilize. I wanted them for a low light room but guess I'll have to find a different plant.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

leave it where you like, it will most likely survive, and root up a few leaves and try to give them more optimal conditions, and can maybe have a a beautiful plant to put in that plants place, in some years time of course.

Again, im not the the most expeirenced with your plant, but possiblly a regular old trifasciata would be a better choice, you can get a good 2-3 foot tall one for as much as a tiny mason congo will (did) run you, and as long as they get SOME light, and little water they will persist for many years and not look bad becuase they stop trying to grow.

You could also try adding some artificial light to your plant, a Y splitter and a a few 36W cfls will likely make enough light, just find the right fixture screw em in your in business, dont get it too close, it will urn sans at 6 inches or less.
    I grow several under artifical under in the childs reptile cage, they handle it well.