Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Almost identical but dwarf

Posted by cag1963 N Tx (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 04 at 12:09

I am familiar with the typical Sansevieria trifasciata, or mother-in-law's tongue. My mother has something very similar and I'm trying to find out exactly what it is. She has at least 2 full pots that needed to be separated when we pulled the plants out of the pots we found they had also been multiplying inside the pots under the roots and dirt, new shoots and babies gallore, I brought some home. It has the same type leaves the only difference is that it is only maybe 6 in tall and is only the dark green color solid. I have checked the internet looking for dwarf and the ones I found are all variegated. Can someone help with the answer.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Almost identical but dwarf

• Posted by Cena S CA 10A (My Page) on
    Sun, May 16, 04 at 1:33

Does it look like the plant featured on the forum entry page? How long are the leaves? Are they thick and succulent, round and pointed, flat and spoon shaped? Give some more details. Some measurements, and color of leaf rather than dark green solid...

If you go to the Gallery, there is at least one collection of several hundred plants (BirdNestSoup's) you can look through and find the nearest, or similar to the plant you are trying to identify. That would help us to help you.

o

Close. The longest leaves are about 7" long and 2" at the widest. Thick and succulent, kinda spoon shaped with a pointed end where the round sides come together. The color is just dark green solid no variations. The younger plants are a lighter green. Looked through the gallery and have yet to find anything like it. How would I go about getting a picture of the plant up for people to see?

o

• Posted by Cena S CA 10A (My Page) on
    Tue, May 18, 04 at 13:45

Most folks here use their digital camera and take a pic. Then they load it up to a free photo storage site, then make a link here to that there. It takes time to figure all this out.

Based on your description, we 'should' be able to give you a name to take to the Wonderful World of Google and work from there. Maybe. Hopefully.

Does the leaf look ANYthing like this. I realize this is not spoon shaped, and has coloration that your's does not have, but we gotta start somewhere.

S. fischerii

o

My grandmother is looking for a bit of the "dwarf MILT" but I have been unsuccessful in finding it for her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

o

Carol the photo on the intro page (which is mine incidentally) is S. hahnii. Robusta is also close but has paler crossbanding. I'm surprised you describe your plant as solid green. The only one like that I know of is nelsonii but that has taller leaves.

Here's a photo of robusta. Is yours anything like this?

For TSMorgan - hahnii is usually easy to pick up - check your local nurseries or ebay. They are usually pretty cheap. If you have no success email me privately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here