Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

is this Sansevieria Hahnii Trifasciata Gold?

greentoe357
9 years ago

Got this little number at Home Depot the other day. 5 inches high at most.

Is it Sansevieria Hahnii Trifasciata Gold?

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 1:31

Comments (17)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Close, 'Golden Hahnii'

Planto

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. So, is the full name then Sansevieria 'Golden Hahnii'? Or is it Sansevieria trifasciata 'Golden Hahnii'?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

The latter. :)

Planto

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

I got one of those thinking it may be more yellow than the other ones i have, but when in the same exact conditions of more light, they look the same. Very nice find. These are my hardest ones to grow. They want to grow new leaves and keep growing taller and taller but no new pups. So at some time down the road for me, Bang, crown rot. So far so good this year. I did get one pup. Complete tech. name; Sansevieria trifasciata hahnii 'Gold Hahnii'.
    Stush

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

why don't i see those in my hd! darn...it's so-o pretty!
    lucky you!

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i googled the pics - and this one def has more white then many others.
    exceptionally pretty!
    i would assume it means it needs more sun/light?

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

These are adorable!
    But they can be a bit finicky.
    At least for me...I've killed a few.
    Karen

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

> They want to grow new leaves and keep growing taller and taller but no new pups. So at some time down the road for me, Bang, crown rot.

I see how it can happen. The root ball is small, so it needs a small pot. But those leaves are spread out, and so when watering, some water inevitably gets in the center. Unless you bottom-water, which I guess is an idea.

Also, when it gets taller, the crown in higher, so it's less likely to get drowned in water - unless rain is what waters it, of course.

> why don't i see those in my hd! darn...it's so-o pretty!

Petrushka, it was bought in the Poconos, Pennsylvania, not in NYC where we are (you too, I think, right?) I should just get in the habit of buying more than one rare plant whenever I see them at big box stores. Can always return them if nobody wants them. :-/ There were also Moonshine-looking Sansevierias there, but I didn't get one for reasons of limited space. Should have, I guess - for trades and gifts and such.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

i am across the hudson in jc, but i go by 23st nyc HD sometimes too. and am always on the look-out at all sorts of nurseries/shops/bot-gardens. when it's in HD it can be anyplace, so to speak.
    bottom watering can soak up too much water too - but you'll prolly pop it out anyway into a new mix?

9 years ago

I should add, I can grow it for years. Problems occurs during winter months, just before spring comes. Like in late February. I noticed bottom leaves dying and pull on them to notice rot. Some times I can save it but some times no. This year no problems. There out side and can take all the water they want. I got them in a warmer place the past winter so I think I solved my own problem. But still no new pups. I should add, something strange to me, it is sending a shoot out of the side of the main stock. So it has twin stocks. Picture coming soon.
    Stush

• marlonmachado
    9 years ago

Hi Stush, try beheading one of your tall plants. Carefully open up the leaves and with a sharp knife (I like to use those office types with retractable blades) cut the stem of the plant, leaving several leaves in the base. Dust both cut areas with some sulphur powder (it acts as a fungicide; cinnamon powder is also a good alternative). The apex you should treat as a cutting, the cut are will soon heal and root. The base of the plant will soon make offsets, because it no longer has a growing point.

You may end up also with a couple of cut leaves. Try rooting these too. Most of the time the offsets will be plain Hahnii, but sometimes weird variegated offsets do grow :)

9 years ago

Marlon,
    I have done this to a few very tall plants that kept growing and started to have stocks. I am afraid to do this to my special 'Gold hahnii'. I am not always successful growing cuttings and leaves. Even in pure perlite, I have rot issues. I was successful with S.t. hahnii 'Streaker'. I have done this several times.
    Glad to see you'll still here. We need an update with pictures of your sans collection.
    Stush

9 years ago

Here's my double sprout Gold Hahnii.

• stillinwisconsin
    2 years ago

This is a really old thread but i just purchased a golden hahni aka birds nest on Etsy and i was reading that overwatering is its kryptonite … its recommended that this one be bottom watered … i wish i knew how finicky she was before i took the leap.. and needs sun for the yellow coloring

2 years ago

Welcome Stillinwisconsin, During hot summer months when I have them outside, like I said above, they love water. It is during the colder months of the year when I bring them inside that you have to hold off watering. Bottom watering is good but never let them sit in water. After 5 - 10 minuets remove any sitting water in the trays. Keeping the crown dry would help keep rot from setting in. You don't need sun or even bright light to bring out the yellow in the leaves. Most of mine are in bright shade were they seem to do best. Direct sun will burn most variegated leaves.

Now this is the worst time of year. We got tons of rain and cooler nights. Plants are soaked and if I don't spray them with a fungicide I may loose them.

2 years ago

Update; Plants are doing well and are in for the winter. We'll see how spring come out.