Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Photo at the top of this forum

sahoyaref
19 years ago

Which sansevaria is that? I think I bought it recently, not knowing what it was. How big does it get?

Comments (8)

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

Hello! This is my photo, and it's Sansevieria hahnii, one of the bird's nest types which will not get much taller but will spread by offsets to fill whatever size pot it's in. Pretty easy to grow, doesn't like being overwatered though.

Hope you enjoy your plant!

• sahoyaref
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you! What are signs of overwatering? I've read that sansevierias don't like to remain moist, but the soil in my terrarium (where I have planted it) does. What should I be keeping an eye out for so that I can rescue it before it is too late, if it comes to that?
    And I will enjoy it, it's a very cute plant!

• Cena
    19 years ago

Um, I figure by putting this in your terrarium it has about two more weeks to live. I would move it as soon as you have time to. Lots of times, these plants exhibit nothing left bigger than a lump of slime trying to tell you they don't like the conditions.

Good luck with it. Try to keep water from standing in the centers of the leaves, also.

• sahoyaref
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Don't worry, I took it out of my terrarium and potted it up with cactus soil last night. =) Now it has at least a fighting chance of survival, if I don't overwater it. I don't overwater my other plants, but since this guy likes it drier, we'll have to see if I can figure out how often to water it before I kill it. . .

• Cena
    19 years ago

Okay. I put mine in the farthest back corner, that I really had to work at getting to, to water it at least once a month. It did well there, but started showing signs that I wasn't watering enough. Slight wrinkling of leaves. We moved, and it sat outside getting drowned under the eaves that don't drain into the gutters. It sits in a pot with an attatched saucer it is impossible to see into. I would have to pick it up and tilt it to drain, or see if water was sitting in there. Mine is also potted with a Sans 'Laurentii' so there was a good root system and another thristy plant to handle the water. It has plumped up, and I have been trying to water small amounts more often.

• msliz_ga
    19 years ago

Last year my sansevieria grew about 2 feet tall and split the container that it was in. I chopped it in half with an ax and gave half to my mother. Chopped the other half into, put one in another planter inside, planted the other outside beside my stone chimney.

The one inside has filled the pot again. The one outside died back last winter but is now peeking out of the ground about three inches (I thought I had lost it).

Liz

• msliz_ga
    19 years ago

Oh my! Axe----40 whacks----Lizzie Borden :>). Shouldn't have said I whacked it with an axe. I gently separated it with a cutting tool. Yes that's it!!. Gently separated.

Liz

• elsier
    19 years ago

I had envisioned you setting the plant up on a stump and chopping it apart a la Abe Lincoln! Ha Ha!
    Mine haven't split the pot yet but some of them have taken on an odd ovoid shape from the new plants that are developing.

Elsie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!