Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
immimi_gw

repotting sanseviera

immimi
12 years ago

I have a plant that apparently I've let get too dry. Some of the leaves are coming out with no root at all. Must I throw these away or can I put them in water to reroot? I want to combine this plant with another small one. How deep do I put the plants in the new dirt? Thanks.

Comments (3)

• woodnative
    12 years ago

If too dry the leaves will become limp and shriveled. Generally it takes time for this to happen, and time to rehydrate. If teh leaves are just pulling off, are they rotten/mushy at the base? It may actualy have been too wet, or too cold, or both. IN any case, now is a good time to repot. Plant them about the same depth they are growing....generally the rhizome is just below the soil. Plant them in a good, well-draining soil mix (e.g. commercial cactus soil will be fine). If the leaves that broke off look good, cut them into segments a few inches long each. Make sure you know what side of the cuts is the top and what is the bottom. Let the cuts dry for a day them plant them in barely moist soil...same type. Keep them just barely moist...not too wet, and they should root. As soon as you see little plantlets come out you can treat thme like the parent plants.

• immimi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ususally the leaves are not rotten or mushy at the base nor are the leaves shriviled and limp. There is just nothing at the bottom of the leaves - no root. I have had several leaves that turn yellow and eventually come off or are easily pulled from the pot. I will repot but hope to save what is left of this plant and the new one as well. The old one was my Dad's and he has been dead since 1982 so you can see how old this plant is.

• woodnative
    12 years ago

How is the soil on the original plant? Is it damp, or very compact? Clean off all the old soil and replant it in fresh mix. I don't know where you are located, but here in NJ my plants realy benefit from being outside for the summer months. You must need to be careful when you first put them outside.....put them in a very shady and sheltered spot, then gradually move them into morning sunlight, then slowly increase the sunlight over a period of maybe 2 weeks or so. If you put them directly out in the sun when they are not used to it they will sunburn. However, once adjusted, they benefit from the warm, summer conditions outside. In fact, it seems when they are warm adn in active growth they don't mind period of summer rain. Generally you will have nice root growth and perhaps the beginning of new "pups" by fall. Good luck with your plant!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!