Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jderosa_gw

Epsom salts - why?

jderosa
19 years ago

I've read that many people use epsom salts on their plants as a 'tonic', and I am at a loss as to why people would do such a thing. Epsom slats are Magnesium and calcium salts, so Sansevieria SHOULD (in theory) not mind this, since they come from dry regions of Africa, where the water is usually hard. Water hardness is determined my the Magnesium and Calcium levels, so Epsom Salts should't be a bad thing, right?

Well, I know that when I keep fish from hard water African lakes, Epsom salts are NOT the preferred way to harden the water - these are SULFATE salts, not what living things tend to like. The plants and fish may like or need the magnesium or Calcium, but they definitly don't want the sulfate. I imagine that you will eventually get salt build-up, and the plants will show definite signs of suffering. Unless you really flush the soil periodically, but this will usually take gallons of water thjrough each pot, as these salts aren't always easy to dissolve.

I am blessed (or cursed) with naturally hard water in my current location, so none of this is an issue for me. Of course, this means that I can no longer keep some of those delicate South American tetras as successfully, since they require very soft water to thrive and breed.

Joe 'given with the right hand while the left hand takes away...' DeRosa

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living