Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Should I use cactus soil?

sahoyaref
19 years ago

I've read some of the old threads on this forum, and I gather that I need to take my new bird's nest sans. out of my terrarium where the soil stays constantly moist and pot it up and keep it dry. Would cactus soil be good? Any other tips for a complete newbie? I just don't understand plants that need to stay drier at all. I am much better with things that need to stay moist, or at least only dry out an inch or so at the top of the soil. The water just runs right through the cactus soil that I have (I think it is the Schultz brand), and I don't understand how the plant gets any moisture at all. Please help me with this! Should I just not use cactus soil, since I am unfamiliar with it? (I only bought a small bag years ago to make a cactus dish garden for my MIL, who kills all other plants except cacti and some succulents). I know I will worry if it is getting enough water, so I will probably overwater. Just how much water do these things need? A cup per month? Less? More? I really like this cute little plant, and don't want to kill it because of too much love (or water)!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner