Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nitasher

Wanting a Sansevieria

nitasher
17 years ago

I have wanted a Sansevieria for many years now. I find large (3 feet tall and filling a 12" pot) Sansevieria at Wal-Mart for $10. They look good from a distance, but when I get a closer look some of the tips are broken, there are dried edges, scars on the leaves. Should I just buy one that I like, and as new leaves grow [I am forever an optomist :) ] cut out the damaged ones. (How does one treat damaged leaves? I guess I will do a search!)

Thanks for the info.

Anita

Comments (5)

• logan33
    17 years ago

Hi Anita,
    A large full pot would probably look great if you just removed the damaged leaves...that's what I have done in the past and new pups replaced them rather quickly. And if you like you could grow new plants from the leaves that were removed... Logan

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

I just remove damaged leaves, new ones grow in rapidly. I can't seem to help not having damaged leaves, too many people walk into my growing area, and touch the plants. I wonder how they would grow them in the stores without having damage. Take a new plant out of the pot, take out all the old parts and plant three clean heads to a gal. container, that is the benefit of getting very young starts, you can grow them clean. I do this every three years inorder to cut down the size, change the soil, check out the roots, do so they won't grow too large. Mostly I wait until after they flower and through that part away. Norma

• sansitive
    17 years ago

Anita
    Keep your eyes peeled at Walmart. I live outside Toronto and my Walmart occasionly will have S. "Moonshine" stuck in with the smaller plants (english ivy) and no where near the large S. trifasciatas. If you don't see any by late spring, I'll be happy to mail you a cutting if you're interested.
    It's nice to see another Canadian on this forum.

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

You are so welcome, it's good to see others from other countries here. I wish we could send out plants to you, but it's against the law.
    Plants just don't come claen and spotless for $10.00. Unless you grow them from very young offsets yourself.
    Older plants get messed up from shipping and handling in the stores, customers don't keep their hands off. Clerks don't know how to unwrapp them. Get the old beat up plant, then take out three young offsets that are perfect and start them in their own container. Don't touch the leaves when repotting, once damaged they will not heal. Good Luck, I hope you meat a lot of Canadian friends to exchange plants with. Is there a forum just for Canadians ? ? They will offset when the pot fills up with roots, they love to be pot bound. When it warms up start them in fresh soil, that will jump start them. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    17 years ago

That is a very reasonable price, they are now going for $29.00 a pot full, 1 gal size pot, about 6 growths, and as high as $79.00 on EBay and some markets.
    Once they are damaged they don't repair themselves. Our bank has a pot full with all the leaves damaged. I just thought perhaps you would be able to find some plants at a flower shop. This could be something they just might have. Norma