Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amany_gw

Golden Hahniis by Exotic Angel

amany
16 years ago

Hi there.

I just thought I'd share that I have managed to get two golden hahniis within the past week and a half or so. One was at Home Depot and the other at Lowes. They were only $2.97 from Exotic Angel.

I didn't know until recently that they were such great finds. I just thought they were pretty. In fact the one at HD was mislabeled peperomia. Anyway, just thought I'd tell you guys, so you can keep a look out for them.

Here's a picture of the first one I bought.

{{gwi:564243}}

Comments (21)

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    Sadly, neither Lowes or Home Depot here sells Golden Hahniis. I have looked tirelessly for one and the only time I ever found one was when it was stuck in a pot with other succulents with those stupid glued down rocks (and to imagine, they wanted like $20 for it!). I didn't figure it made any sense to buy it because the only plant I liked out of the bunch... I'm glad you could find such beautiful plants as here in NE Georgia, they appear to be a rare find!

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sorry Elizabeth. I hope you come across one soon. The ones I found were not with the succulents. They were on the Exotic Angel display case. Both times I came across them, there were far fewer of them than the other types of plants. I doubt if tons of them are being delivered here either. There were three at HD and one at Lowes. I go to both stores so often to look at the plants, that it's almost embarrassing. I guess they're just not that common anywhere. Is it that they're hard to propagate?

• flicker
    16 years ago

At my home depot I have found H jade dwarf, hahnii marginated, compacta, laurentii, trifasciata, black coral, cylandrica patula, and moonshine. At Lowes I have found jade dwarf marginated, moonshine, laurentii, trifasciata, and cylindra patula. You never know when these will appear, so going often is necessary.Louisiana is a good place for them to thrive. I asked the person who orders their plants to get whichever sans were available. If they are selling, she is glad to order.
    Johanna

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

I have a jade hahnii I bought from Wal-Mart, a moonshine I got from Kroger, a plain green hahnii I got from Lowes, a bird's nest hahnii I got from Lowes, and trifasciata I got from Lowes. Sadly amany, I have looked in with the exotic angel collections every time I go to Lowes and have not found any luck.
    I found a jade hahnii once and never found one of those again, later returned it and bought the one I have now from Wal-Mart (they were both from exotic angel). The plain green one I got is an exotic angel and they had about 5-6 of those at Lowes and I've never seen them again. They always seem to have moonshines but they always look like someone took a weed wacker to them (especially the really big ones in those large pots). So, I got this really pretty one at Krogers. My trifasciata is very small in size, fortunately, as I find the larger ones, like the moonshines look horrible. Other than that, I've seen one other species of sans, but I'm not sure what species it is... it almost looks like an agave more than a sans but I'm sure it's a sans. Other than that, I am highly disappointed with the selection here lol.

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Elizabeth, it's so funny you'd say that it looked like a weed wacker had been used on the moonshines. I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw some at Home Depot. There were a bunch in six inch pots for $4.97 that just looked awful. The leaves had been cut in half or split down the middle.

HD also had some really nice ones in six inch pots, but they were decorative glazed pots with stones on top of the soil. So that drove the price up to almost $15. I refused to pay that. I did, however, find a nice one for the $2.47 table in a 3.5" pot. I grabbed it immediately.

I'm going to continue going to the Lowes and HDs during the week. That's what I do on my lunch hour just about everyday. Then I eat lunch at my desk :-) I'm hoping to come across some of the other sans you guys have found.

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    I'm glad to hear that you found a pretty moonshine. I had to cough up $5 for mine that was in a 4" pot at Krogers. They had it in some other pot with this bow stuck in it and they wanted $10 for it, so I switched pots... LOL, well, it was the same plant, just a different pot and a bow with it... pleeeeassseee. I have photos of my sans if you'd like to see them, but sadly, I cannot post them on here because they are too large. Would you mind if I sent them to you in e-mail? I'd like to see photos of any sans you have as well.

Elizabeth

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    I think my last post came out wrong... please let me clarify. They had some moonshines in pots for $5 and some in different pots with a bow for $10. I switched the plant in the $10 one with a one in a $5 one... I didn't need the pot nor the bow and I didn't want to pay $10 for it... but, they didn't have any good looking $5 ones either as this one was the best moonshine they had... never seen another one as beautiful as this one, everyone has beat up ones. So, hope this makes more sense.

Elizabeth

• susancarol
    16 years ago

I agree with all the above posts about moonshine looking really shabby. Everywhere, I have seen them, the prices were good for good size plants but I can't imagine why they all look so beat up. Other varieties that I've seen so far look great!

I was able to find the Golden Hahni at our Wal-Mart.

Susan

• flicker
    16 years ago

Y'all should look at the Glasshouseworks.com site for the pictures of sansevierias and prices. Ebay has had some activity selling sans at REDICULOUSLY high prices. People should know that paying $150 and up is robbery just because some seller claims that they are selling a very rare plant. Bob Smoley has good prices but no pictures.
    Go to Webshots home page and search sansevieria. TONS of photos!!
    Johanna

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

$150!?!??!!?!??!?! Robbery is right! I saw an aloe on one of the online cacti and succulent nurseries and it said that it was a rare species of aloe... I found this particular aloe twice at two different Lowes here. *shakes her head* Unless the plants were mislabeled, these peopole online weren't being truthful. I don't know myself why Sansevierias are so often butchered looking. You would think they would ship them better. I've seen a few that looked horrribbble. I imagine they will just end up dying because I can't foresee anybody buying them.

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just don't get the reason for the assault on moonshines. It's a shame. What wastes.

I've looked at the sans on Ebay too. Those prices are just outrageous. And everything is so "rare". I've seen a lot of those same sux at Lowes too. I hope Lowes doesn't get wind of just how "rare" their plants are! :-)

Susan, I keep forgetting what a gem Walmart can be at times. I have a couple of off days coming up, I'll have to visit my local Walmart then. I hate going on the weekend, because mine is just so crowded then. And the lines are ridiculous.

Johanna, you are definitely going to get me into full fledged sans addiction by sharing other sources for them. lol Right now all I have is a healthy interest. If I buy anymore, I'll end up in a 12 step program. I only have 8 sans, 6 types by the way.

Elizabeth, I would just love to see your sans. Feel free to email me!

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    Better yet, let me provide you the link to my online photo album. You can see all of my plants on there. =:o)

Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plants

• susancarol
    16 years ago

It's good to visit Wal-Mart on Thursday and Friday because I believe that's when their weekly shipments come in. The WM in my town has been slow with getting indoor houseplants in this season, tho. I did get a beautiful sanseviera tri. laurentii a month ago. I'm sure its not rare but that's okay.

Susan

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Elizabeth you have a beautiful plant collection. Very impressive. Your panda is one of the prettiest ones I've seen. In your overview 4 pic, what's the name of the middle sans? And the sans on the left in the overview 3 pic? I see you appreciate pothos too. I love them. They're way underrated in my opinion.

Johanna, now that I've seen your sans collection, I'm completely envious. I'm also inspired to add more to my tiny collection. So, let me warn you right now that I'm going to use you as my scape goat when I start to irritate my husband with all the sans. ;-)

Thanks Susan. I'm going to look at WM for more sans. Lately, I seem to be looking all over the place for new sans. :-)

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    Thank you for your compliments. To be honest, I just bought those pandas about a month ago. I went to two separate Lowes and bought about 6 different 2.5 inch pots that had 2-3 pandas in each pot and I put them all together in a 4 inch pot. I really like how it turned out too.

In overview 3, I am not sure which one you are referring to when you said "middle sans," but I am guessing you mean the darkish green colored one (not the larger one on the left of that tiny plant in the middle, but on the right)? I am not sure what type of sans that is to be honest.

If you look at it by standing over it and looking down at it, it is all darkish green in color and you can only see some whitish bands if you look at the sides of it. When I say whitish bands, I mean almost a ghostish bands as they are almost invisible, but just white enough you can see them. This is only present on a couple of the leaves.

That weird white "u" thing you see is just a scar, I have no idea how it got here or why it looks like a "u," but I guess that just makes it unique lol.

The one on the left in "overview 3" is a birds nest sanserveria. I found it at a local Lowes.

I bought myself a Sansevieria Laurentii today at HD, I didn't see this one before, I guess I didn't loo hard enough. They've had a few of these for weeks now but I said ah well, I'll look at all of them today and see if I can't find a decent one. I found one that has some scaring, but really good overall.... nothing like those moonshines we see *cries* lol. It has 4 new babies on it, such beauties.

Elizabeth

• susancarol
    16 years ago

Wow, Elizabeth, I really like your plants also especially that violet in the lower right hand corner on overview 2-just gorgeous! What size pots are the syngoniums in?

Very nice!

Susan

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow what a great idea planting the pandas together. Maybe I'll do that too.

I didn't know a hahnii would grow that tall. kind of "stacked". I can't wait for mine to do that.

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    To be honest, I had no idea either until I saw this one. I guess you learn something new every time you go to a local plant place lol. You could defintely try it, I think it looks alot better with all those kalanchoes together than it does two or three in a pot. =:o)

Elizabeth

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

Susan,
    Thank you for the compliment. =:o) If you would like to see a larger photo of the african violet you pointed out, there is a full photo of it entitled "Strawberry Sundae." The syngoniums are in 4 inch glazed ceramic pots. I bought the pots at Home Depot last year sometime for around $2.50 a piece.

Elizabeth

• flicker
    16 years ago

Sat.I got 2 futura gildt edge and 1 jade marginated at Lowes!!
    Johanna

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It really does pay to make frequent trips to Lowes and Home Depot, doesn't it? Sometimes you get the best surprises.