Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
avoiding repotting

Posted by amyqofu z9 NorCal (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 0:39

I have a small collection of sansevierias, most of which have been in their pots so long that I can't even bear to think about it. Would it be beneficial to scrape off the loose topsoil and replace with fresh potting soil?
All are doing well, most showing growth. Is it a case of "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it"? I can't imagine that they wouldn't need some fresh soil after all this time, but I don't really want to repot.
Thanks for any help.
P.S. I'm serious, some of them have been in the same pot for 10-12 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: avoiding repotting

If it ain't broke don't fix it is MY motto. I say leave them alone!

o

10-12 yrs., come on now; I should think a change of mix after 2 yrs. is almost mandatory & I'm not a one who changes mix every 6 months or 1 yr.

I realize Sans. are more tolerant of neglect than most plants, but really, come on now, even if you don't pot them up, at least refresh their mix, please!!!

o

REPOT! REPOT and REPOT!

It is not dangerous, it is easy and nice and fun and lovley to get dirty nails.... and green fingers

o

Repot, Repot, Repot, We repot every third year, we remove the old growth and repot it for sales or trade. We put 3 young new growths to a gal. pot. To flower they do need to be crowded but they also need soil. FRESH SOIL I am surprised that the pots have not burst, or they climbed out. Would you like your feet bound? I am in the process of doing this now for the Huntington Gardens, Another 40 flats to go. We are selling out so fast. Norma

o

Norma,
3 young new growths to a gallon pot. How long does it take for a pot like this to get crowded.

Oh wait, Is this for growing outside. Diane

o

What kind of pot are they in?

If I don't repot mine, at the very least every other year, but usually annually, they burst out the sides of the pots and come out through the drainage holes!

Elsie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here