Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solar_storm

International Sansevieria Society (ISS)

Solar_Storm
19 years ago

Over the past few days, in search for a better ID for a Sans I got from a friend I chanced upon Juan Chahinian, Turns out he is Pres of the ISS which publishes a Journal. If you are interested in subscribing @ $24/yr for 3 issues, contact Sue Haffner at sueh@csufresno.edu

Comments (16)

• birdsnestsoup
    19 years ago

Yes. Also back issues are available from the Secretary in London UK. 8 have been published so far. Contact Mike Phillips at michael.phillips8@btinternet.com

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks . . . I plan on doing just that. A local friend showed me several Journals published by Juan C. in the mid 90s here in Southern California. I thought they were top notch with excellent color photos on glossy paper. I have not seen any current issues but hope the current publisher has equally high standards.

• Cena
    19 years ago

I just picked up his book at my local C&S Show & Sale. I had been wanting this book for some time, and was very pleased when I had a chance to sit down and peruse.

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Maybe when my ISS Journal starts it will contain information about how to acquire Juan's book. BTW did you hear that the folks who operate Rainbow Gardens book sales are retiring (at least from selling books at shows)? They notified our CSC&SS that they would not be at our next show (April 05), I don't know the precise retirement date.

• Michaela
    19 years ago

Chahinian's book is long out of print. A real find if you should run across it.
    Mike

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

It's well worth subscribing to the ISS - their journal is excellent.

I have Juan's book, you can maybe find copies on Amazon - or contact him. That's where I got my copy.

• bcstan
    19 years ago

How do you contact Juan? I also would like one of his books.

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Juan has given me permission to post his email address. Based on the sparse population that visits this site, I suspect he won't be overwhelmed. Try . . .

chahanian@earthlink.net

• jderosa
    19 years ago

Juan does sell plants on ebay under the name of raresans.

He sells mostly rare and unusual varieties and species. Very nice quality. All of the plant sI have obtained from him grew true to type - unusual for some of the variegates.

Joe 'happy to know Juan' DeRosa

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Just tried to get to Juan's site. His EM addy (as posted) does not seem to be working, pls. advise. Thanks!

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

chahanian@earthlink.net

or Chahinian@earthlink.net?

(spelling difference at 2nd vowel)

Neither of these seem to work, just leaves me at the what looks like the Home Page of Earthlink.

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

chahinian@earthlink.net seems to be correct according to my addressbook. However, I just checked and the ISS Journal has it with an "a". I don't understand why neither worked. I'll email Alan Butler - AGAIN.
    Juan does participate in the topica list. Send an email to Hermine Stover if you want to join. Her email is . . . . hermine@endangeredspecies.com

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Hi Solar,

Thx for taking the trouble, I don't really want to bother people, just wanted to see his site. I've seen Hermine over at Hoya forum last yr. (maybe?). Perhaps I'll try her when I get a chance. Thank you.

(PG) Karen

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    19 years ago

I thought Juan's name was Chauhinian.

• birdsnestsoup
    19 years ago

Mr B. Juan Chahinian (correct spelling) does not actually have a web site but does from time to time sell Sansevierias on Ebay auctions, as previously mentioned.

Like most folks nowadays, he has adjusted his email settings to consider unknown posts as spam. Best to contact him through one of the other forums such as Topica or Yahoo.

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Thx Birdsnest, but Yahoo what (Yahoo's Sans group)?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21