Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sansevieria in bloom, part 2

Posted by Badart z5 Il (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 04 at 4:12

Taking a closer look at the new found flowers on my Sansevieria I noticed a new detail. At the base of each flower, and in a few spots along the stalk, is a globule of nectar. The taste is oily but sweet, and there is an aroma. I expect this is to attract the attention of some
nocturnal pollinator. A moth? Perhaps a specific moth?
Since it is a night bloomer, and the flowers somewhat obscure, I exposed them to a blacklight to see what the result might be. The anthers glow brilliantly under the blacklight.
Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sansevieria in bloom, part 2

I believe this is known as "extra floral nectar" & is certainly useful in attracting pollinators. Though this nectar is also produced by leaves in some species. Regarding pollinators, certainly mothe seem to be the obvious choice, though as to which ones thats a trick question. Since the natural habitat of Sansevieria ranges from South Africa right up to North East Africa & Arabia (&India) then there must also be a wide range of moth species. Some Sansevierias have a flower which only opens at soil level & it is belived that ants or even small rodents can pollinate.

o
RE: Sansevieria in bloom, part 2

Well, if it is ants, it wouldn't have to be so picky as to only open at the soil level. The ants around here find their way onto & into EVERYWHERE & EVERYTHING where there is any sticky stuff. Ha. They even carry their cows (aphids & mealy bugs) along with them to high up new leaves to REALLY make me mad.
That floral nectar is also on hoya flowers and I imagine others.
Marcy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here