Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Millipedes in my Sans

Posted by shadara 5b-6a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 4:19

So far, since bringing plant home a couple months ago, I've noticed a millipede or three popping through drainage holes in bottom of pot. Initially didn't bother me, but now wondering if it's a pest and don't care for it to be there in my houseplant. It's kinda creeping me out now.

It's still in original pot from store and looks like it's trying to bust out root-style (as S. trifasciata do). I was going to repot, but noticed these invaders.

I've read about submerging the pot in water for a couple hours, but wouldn't that hurt a Sans?

Anywho.. what do I do during repot to keep these buggers away in the future?

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Millipedes in my Sans

If you submerg the pot befor you repot and then wash the roots that should kill then off and take care of any eggs.

o
RE: Millipedes in my Sans

Sart over with artifical soil mix, wash off roots, and windex them to kill critters keep above ground and on a bench table. You can use Rose food with systemic a Bayer Advanced product. I have used this product for several years. It even kills spider mites. All my San. are sending up flower spikes (punduncles) at this time they are happy campers, San, don't normally have insect problems, the bugs came from the nursery where they were grown. Or where they purchased the plants. Norma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here