Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neuf512

Correct Propogation

neuf
9 years ago

I have some snake plant that is rooting successfully, but I do not know when to transplant, just leave the cuttings alone, or what.

I would really appreciate getting to know a lot about this particular propagation. Seems I can get a lot of info on the front end, but nothing past that! Things like appropriate watering methods to avoid root rot, but not stunt growth, typical length of time to expect to see new shoots, etc.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• binlin
    9 years ago

They look like S. trifasciata cuttings so they should be pretty easy going.

Have those already rooted? If so you can just move them to whatever pot you want and water them as if they were each a small S. trifasciata plant (i.e. Allow the soil to dry well between waterings, drench thoroughly and allow to drain).

I have successfully propagated S. trifasciata by making leaf cuttings and sticking them in the same pot as the parent plant, so pretty much everything that normally applies to S. trifasciata applies to the cuttings as well.

They should be potted in well draining medium and given as much light as possible without burning or drying them up. Since leaf cuttings tend to have very shallow root systems, and limited water storage ability until a rhizome develops, you don't want to dry them out too much, but again, S. trifasciata are very easy to propagate so you shouldn't have much of an issue.

• neuf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your post. Yes, the cuttings are rooting, at the least the two or so I've loosened from the medium which is tapla's 5-1-1 altered to about 4 pine bark fines , 2 peat, 1 Perlite. The current container is a take-out Chinese container with about 10 or 15 1/4-inch holes drilled in the bottom, so I can soak it, let it drain well and it will dry up quickly. I will start thinking in terms of potting the cuttings soon. I am sure the answer varies depending on temperatures, sunlight, etc., but when do rhizomes typically develop?

• binlin
    9 years ago

Oh ok, if that container has proper drainage you can just leave them in there and they should be fine.

You'll know they have rhizomes and are ready for transplantation when you see small rosettes coming out from the base of the leaves. This can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

• neuf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for your input!!! I seem to have gotten into a new hobby with growing from seed (biggest reason for the takeout containers) and taking cuttings. Finding myself with no dough and a lot of time left me scrambling to replace my old buy it - stick it in a brand new pot mode.

Happy Friday if you're working!

• neuf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Happy Friday period!!!!!