Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlewalker34205

Sansevieria kirkii

turtlewalker34205
11 years ago

This is Sansevieria kirkii that is starting to flower.

Comments (16)

• woodnative
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing!! S. kirkii and its forms are maybe my favorite Sans. Growing them in NJ.......it will be years before I see that flower, if at all! Where was this photo taken?

• turtlewalker34205
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photo was taken in my yard in Bradenton,Fl. The plant is in a 5 gallon pot.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

So beautiful Turtle, nothing I'd ever get to see in person, thanks so much for sharing it here.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

So beautiful Turtle, nothing I'd ever get to see in person, thanks so much for sharing it here.

• woodnative
    11 years ago

That is awesome! I wonder if you will get any seed on it (??).

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Seeds take a long time but I think in this case it is worth the wait. I wonder if they all would be like the parent or have some variation? Would love to see what happens.
    As you guys know, nature grows only the fittest and strongest. We can and do nature the weak and different fancy ones. This is why I love to plant seeds and see what develops.
    In another forum, I posted about my cactus seeds. I got maybe 50 different types showing up. Small, red, green, gray, twisted and straight. Some very large while others are the same almost as when they first sprouted. In a few years I would know if there are variations or just poor growing from my end.

• nil13
    11 years ago

Sweet flower, I just picked up a kirkii and a kirkii v. pulchra 'coppertone' at the Huntington sale recently and can't wait for them to grow up.

• menschenjaeger
    11 years ago

I'm new here, not exactly new to succulents or sanses...but how does one tell the difference between a sun-grown S. kirkii v. pulchra and an S. kirkii v. pulchra "Coppertone?" Picked up an unlabeled plant at a nearby garden ctr (they have no idea which it is)and...I just can't tell. The pics I've found using GIS haven't been much help.

- Dave

• turtlewalker34205
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seeds are coming along 1 month later

• menschenjaeger
    11 years ago

Nice work - did it self, or were there other sanses around?

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Greatjob T-W. Now if their like clivia seeds, got to wait almost a year for them to rippen. Does anyone here know how long the seeds take to rippen?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hey Turtle,

Thanks for sharing this w/ us, I haven't been exposed to anything to do w/ Sans. seeds & since I like to experiment w/ growing Sans. this interests me too. I hope you'll keep us posted.

I knew holiday cactus seeds can take a year or so to ripen, knew Clivias took some time too; but that does seem a long time.

• turtlewalker34205
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It did self,no Sansevieria's are around this plant and no Sansevieria in flower at this time. I don't know (remember) how long it takes to get good seed but it is a long time.

• nil13
    11 years ago

Dave, the i'm going to guess the plant is a pulchra. The coppertones are still a little hard to find. They are a 2012 ISI introduction. I think I only saw three or four little ones at the Huntington C&S sale this year.

• nil13
    11 years ago

Dave, the i'm going to guess the plant is a pulchra. The coppertones are still a little hard to find. They are a 2012 ISI introduction. I think I only saw three or four little ones at the Huntington C&S sale this year.

• elichka
    11 years ago

menschenjaeger,

If you post a picture of your new Sans. I'm sure someone here would be able to ID.

Inna