Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkiker

light requirements of the Moonglow question

mkiker
16 years ago

Hello, I know that Snake Plants are said to be low light tolerant, what about the moonglow variety? I too have purchased one (two actually) of the Costa Farms newest fad (I've seen them at Kmart and Wal-Mart as well as Lowes and Home Depot, they must be making a fortune on them)

Anyway I have no idea what to do with one as it's my first succulent.

I have one on a southern front porch in shade but not deep shade and one inside the house near a north facing window. The northern one will get supplemental light also, about 55 watts for maybe 16 to 20 hours a day (it's in my kitchen / great room so I leave the light on since it lights the whole house up). I'm testing to see which grows better. I'm told the color will change on them if they have plenty of light.

Comments (9)

• flicker
    16 years ago

If you give moonshine bright light, the leaves will get greener. Age will also turn the leaves greener but less light will keep them white longer. The new pups will be white. I have several pots of Moonshine. It is a lovely sans. It makes pups in spring and summer. The soil must drain very well. Use vermiculite and perlite and osmacote well mixed in the soil. Don't water until dry. Loves the heat. Mine is growing like crazy on an east facing porch with bright light but no direct sun.
    Johanna

• mkiker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I put them both in Schultz Cactus dirt with a about 1/10th miraclegro moisture control dirt mixed in and it seems to drain fast. I was advised that cacti like to stay dry a while but I don't know if it's the same with succulents. I have a water meter and I let it get into the red zone of dry before watering it into the high green again.

I thought it was the other way around regarding the color as in more light equals whiter leaves. Maybe I just assumed that because yellow houseplants get yellower with high light. The color isn't important really I just liked the plain look better than the variegated snake plant and other varieties. I know with some plants they grow leggy under low light if they NEED more light. What does a sans do? It can't really get leggy can it as it's nothing but leaf.

• flicker
    16 years ago

Actually--you are right about the darker green leaved sans getting lighter in the sun. The ones that are sold for their pale color however will darken in the light.
    Sans do like it dry. Watch yours carefully since it has a moisture agent in the soil. I live in high humidity and my sans would rot if I grew them with a moisturerizer.
    A sansevieria in low light will just stop growing but not die unless overwatered. No they do not get leggy. There are other sans that look nothing like the one you have. Look at Glasshouseworks.com for pictures and prices. Also look at ebay for sans--but some of their plants are VERY overpriced. Check out Bob Smoley for sensible prices--but no pictures.
    Johanna

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

New leaves start out gray, and turn green with age. Light has nothing to do with it. They will tolerate very low indirect light, and well as morning low light. In the summer I do not let them go without water or fertilizer, in the winter I give this var. very little water. Many San. change leaf color as they age. It is a very old cultivar. Keep quiet dry in the winter, and not under 55F don't over water during the winter or it will rot off at the base. Norma

• mkiker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well for now it seems to like whatever it's getting. It's made a new little plant already. The little baby that came in is almost snow white. It's a shame they darken with age but the leaf shape and the denser rosettes are what I really bought it for. I may try to separate out the pups (is that what people call the little plants) if it makes more and I feel more confident. Right now I'm just trying to learn it's moods.

As far as keeping it dry in the winter, it'll be indoors and warmish. How will I know if it's dormant, or should I just assume it is?

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

They need a rest during our cooler months, they may also flower at that time, and begin to grow again after they have flowered. It they stop growing they are dormant. These plants are either tropical or subtropicl, very few will tolerate temps below 55F. during our winter monts, which is actually Africa's summer months. I have left a few out on tables on a north protected wall this past winter with no water and they did just did fime. Key Word. no water, no peat moss, air circulation. I know for a fact they can go wrapped up in newspaper in a box from Sept. 15 until April 1, then put in the ground having rain in and they will grow 9" of rhizomes in one month. They were left in a dark box in a garage in Naples Florida. Assume it is. Let it rest during our winter months. Norma

• flicker
    16 years ago

Once again-- thank you, Norma. You are so clear. Your experience is what I look for in forums.
    Johanna

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

I give my S. 'Moonshine' not western sun, but it's 2:00 here and it's in full southern sun at this time. I like my San. go get at least morning sun. That helps them develope good color, and you can also tell what species it is, because it is not greenhouse grown, and develops more like a true African plant that it is. I don't want them to all look a like. I have so many I really need to know what species they are. Otherwise they are worth nothing to me, or to anyone else. Oh, I wish I knew how to post pictures directly here on this forum. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

I give my S. 'Moonshine' not western sun, but it's 2:00 here and it's in full southern sun at this time. I like my San. go get at least morning sun. That helps them develope good color, and you can also tell what species it is, because it is not greenhouse grown, and develops more like a true African plant that it is. I don't want them to all look a like. I have so many I really need to know what species they are. Otherwise they are worth nothing to me, or to anyone else. Oh, I wish I knew how to post pictures directly here on this forum. Norma