Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marguerite_gw

Folded sansevieria leaves.

I notice that the leaves of some sansevierias, particularly of S. trifasciata, tend to fold, both outer edges trying to join in a secretive way; When I press the leaves open, they're fine inside, no pests or anything; why do some sansevierias do this, has anyone an idea?

Comments (9)

• Cena
    19 years ago

None of my plain regulars do that, but I do have a S. kirkii v. pulchra that is just driving me batty doing this! I keep thinking it's because it needs more water, but now you are making me wonder about that.

Gosh, I hope we get a good answer. At this point in time, I have no idea, and if I keep going on my instincts, I could end up watering that plant to death!

• deefar
    19 years ago

Do you have your plants in the sun if so, maybe the sun is too srong for it at midday.

• birdsnestsoup
    19 years ago

My guess is that your Sans needs a drink. During Summer when temperatures are high & the plants are actively growing they can be watered much more often, especially the "broad" leaf types. The thicker & more cylindrical ones don't need as much water. A lot depends on your mix. If it is extremely free draining then you can easily water it every three days or so. I'm presuming a fairly small size pot here - if its a big pot then hold back the water.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    19 years ago

They are in the greenhouse, deefar, but the last few days have been a bit short of sun. I know that doesn't mean much, of course, since sans react slowly to conditons. Birdsnest, I don't water very much, so I'll try and do that more and see what happens. Though it doesn't explain those that don't do it, and also that Cena waters her plant well and it happens. I'll try more watering and see how it goes, and thanks to you both for the suggestions.

• deefar
    19 years ago

Try giving them a good drenching watering. Let the water run through several times making sure the rootball is getting enough water.

• Cena
    19 years ago

Maggie, this is a new behavior. I have had to relocate plants since the move, and they are getting more sun. But, they don't open and close, just seem to stay more closed than I had noticed in the past. Since BirdsNestSoup is so close to you, in relative geography, I would follow that suggestion.

Currently, mine does not seem to be reacting badly to all that extra water, so Who Knows?

I have had a bad day today, repotting. I have found a large number of Sans, bought from reputable dealers, WAY over potted, and barely breaking root dormancy. I had hoped to share a significant amount of these in a spring trade, but most are barely breaking dormancy, and the roots are appaling.

I would cringe to receive something looking like this, so can hardly send something like this out. Argh!

We have had a long, cloudy spell of days, over three weeks now. I suppose that 'could' have contributed, but, I doubt it.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I did it! They are all thoroughly wet and the sun is beaming on them. i can almost hear them purr!
    Just twigged it was you, Al. All the plants are doing fine! They're very well-behaved!:-)

• Solar_Storm
    19 years ago

I too have one a "folded wings" plant. Mine is S. aff concinna. The two leaves have been pressed tight since I got he plant about a month ago. I watered the porous mix liberally when I first potted it and weekly since then. The plant is outside, but it has been coolish and mostly cloudy with lows in upper 50s and highs near 70. The only good sign is that the color still looks good. I think it just needs warmer weather.

• birdsnestsoup
    19 years ago

All the Sans in the concinna group prefer higher temperatures. They like humidity too but not at the roots, so good drainage/aeration is a must. I've heard said that Sans do their grwoning at night so it is the nighttime temperatures that are critical. Your upper 50's is perhaps too low to get this one rooted & into growth. Try it in a warmer place or give it some "bottom heat". You really need to be above 20 degrees centigrade for the concinna types.

Maggie, the Echeverias are doing great. Thanks.