Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura1_

Sans. hallii getting ready to bloom?

laura1
10 years ago

What do you think? Is it going to bloom?

Comments (31)

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Just too cool! Take some more pics as the flowers develop. Isn't it interesting that the flower comes right up from the soil.

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is an update of halli bloom...
    {{gwi:567432}}

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

I'm giddy with excitement waiting for them to open!

Planto

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Waiting for the update myself.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

I too can't wait. But wait, is this a sans that I need to search for and add to my collection? Will it never end? Lol

• bonsaigai
    10 years ago

Very fun, exciting.

greenplants2012 has some hallii on ebay. excellent prices. I buy from them and get consistently very fine, show quality plants.

Michael

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Michael,

So if you know this plant, do you concur pls. that those are buds coming up, as opposed to Conophytum plant as someone suggested & I refuted at C&S Forum? Still hoping that IS the case here.

• lme5573
    10 years ago

I did a google search for sansevieria hallii blooms, and then looked at images. I found this blog entry that shows the flowers in bloom and discusses how they come out of the ground.
    I didn't see the conversation on the C&S forum, so I don't know if you've already seen this blog.
    Lennie

Here is a link that might be useful: blog with picture of sans. hallii in bloom

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the link Lennie. Interesting that fischeri blooms in the same manner. Hallii is a slow grower where fischeri is fast! But still I have not had fischeri bloom for me.

Update: buds getting taller but none have opened yet.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Thanks Lennie,

For the link & what looks to me to be confirmation of my suspicion that these are in fact flower buds. I had seen a similar pic of the buds jut having broken the surface & opened, don't remember where, maybe at Houseplant Forum where I first guessed these were buds.

Congratulations indeed Laura, what a marvelous development!

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here we go...

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Very nice and congratulations 'Laura1'. Do you know how old your plant is? How long have you had it?

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know how old the plant it. I've had it 3 years. During that time it has been sitting under my oak tree pretty much doing "nothing". I was thinking of repotting it. I'm glad I didn't do that this spring. Procrastination has its rewards!

• lme5573
    10 years ago

That is so beautiful - thank you for sharing.
    Lennie

• Michaela
    10 years ago

I would consider building a big plant stand under your oak tree. Ha!

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The last of the blooms...

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

So exciting Laura, great show -- thanks for sharing it w/ us.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Extremely cool! In the first pic, it looks like a Senecio, Lithops, or Haworthia. So much so, that's what I thought this thread would say but seeing is believing. Obviously a Sans flower. Love the progression shown here, thanks for sharing!

Nothing said here about scent unless I skimmed way too fast. Did it have any?

• jansy1985
    10 years ago

Woah, Lovely! Now i want one too. Trouble with looking for a specific variety of Sans here in Toronto is that most garden centers only carry one or 2 species. I'd have to look for a farm...

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I check for scent several times at different times of the day but my nose didn't pick anything up.

FYI: I got this plant from Tropiflora in Sarasota FL. They ship all over the place.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, I love it.
    I love it so much, I had to hunt
    one down.
    I thank you again, and I'm sure
    my DH thanks you. lol

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

There Are sisx species that flower like this - no flower stem.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hiya Norma,

I'm the one who saw this at Houseplants & suggested it was Sans. flower buds to be, rather than seedlings of something else. I suggested she post it here & I hoped you'd see this, thinking if anyone would know, it'd be you. Glad to find you did see it.

Warmly,

Karen

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to follow up...no seed pods. I don't know if it has anything to do with the vast amounts of rain or just no pollination. Oh, well we all got to enjoy the flower show.

10 years ago

Thank you Laura.

• barbmock
    10 years ago

Laura,

I love seeing your collection. You have some really interesting plants.

• hermine
    10 years ago

this is the bloom a little further along

• laura1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

very nice bloom/plant hermine.
    Thanks bmock for your kind words.

10 years ago

Hermine,
    Do you get any berries or seeds from your blooms. Do you try to grow them?
    Stush

• kataclysm
    10 years ago

So beautiful!

Thanks for sharing -- you give a complete newbie something to hope for :)