Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sans2014

S. hahnii lesions

Sans2014
9 years ago

Hi all,
One of the Sansevieria hahnii I placed outside has developed several ugly liquid filled horrible sick green colored lesions an several leaves. I don't have a picture at the moment (just discovered the issue). Any suggestions? The pot has 2 plants, the smaller was last years pup, still looks healthy. Should I pull that one out? What are the chances that the lesions are contagious? Thanks for your help.

Fred

Comments (14)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Sounds like sun damage. It could cause you to cut the whole leaf off. Sans Hahnii should be given shade and not direct sun untill they are used to it and they don't really need it. Shade lovers or bright light is best for them. Also a picture would be nice. Mine get mornign sun and then bright shade. This time of year they do their best.
    Stush

• Sans2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

notice the circles filled with fluid, are you sure sunburn does that?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

How much sun/what time of day?

• Sans2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Afternoon sun,it was under my "grow deck" on the silver shelf below so only medium angle sun. There are some ferns in front that block a little of the afternoon sun. No direct overhead burning hot sun all day if that is what you are asking. I have separated the two plants and brought the healthy one back inside.
    Fred

9 years ago

Sans can take direct sun but not right away. You got to acclimate it to the change. Your leaves look light in color like to much sun causes the light color
    Also; no I am not sure. Just a guess based on what mine have gone thru. I am still learning here. The problem could be shocking the plant by rapid changed in environment.

And most of all, welcome to our forum.
    Stush

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Hi Fred,

Here are a couple of ideas about those blister looking spots. Maybe odema, or edema. Or possibly a form of leaf spot. There are several types of leaf spot. Do a search on these and see what you think.
    I have had some trouble with these blisters on my hahniis before. I cut off the damaged leaves and sprayed with a fungicide. The plants looked really bad for a long time, but they have recovered, and now have nice clean new growth. Good luck with yours!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I found an orange blister on a Sans I purchased from a BBS. I poked it and it popped on my face (yeah, thanks Planto for the mental image). I can't find the website again, but I was reading that blisters like the one I had on mine (I found pictures that were spittin' images of my plant) was caused by some sort of fungal infection Sans can get. It was spread by those blisters, which released some form of spores. When the right conditions arose (moist conditions, so essentially when I'd water), the fungus would spread.

Needless to say, I took the plant back. If I was wrong, no big deal. If I was right, I sure didn't want that spreading.

Planto

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Oh that was yucky! I have seen sans in a nursery with these blisters, didn't take one home.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Ya know, had I noticed it in the store, I wouldn't have taken it home either. It wasn't until after I got home and was cleaning the leaves off that I spotted the blister. I still can't get over being squirted in the face lol.

Planto

9 years ago

Very good advise. Much better than mine. Thanks for posting. I'll make a note for future reference.
    Stush

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Ugh, sorry that happened, Planto, but good to know.

That doesn't sound like enough sun for sunburn, BTW, Sans2014.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Tiff,
    Thanks. :) I wasn't aware there was a fungus that only affects Sansevieria, so it was a learning expwrience I spose. A gross one lol.

Planto

• Frogman929
    9 years ago

Increase the airflow around the plants and avoid moisture on the leaf surfaces in the evenings.

I have grown these commercially, and those plants nearest fans suffered much less of this and other fungal infections.

• Sans2014
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All,
    Thanks for all your posts!. The plant is doing fair, it still has a yellowish look to it but I am keeping it in partial sun that is sheltered form the rain and being very careful with the water. I divided this plant when I removed the effected leaves. That smaller plant is back inside and under close observation. I'll try to remember to photograph them tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Fred

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA