Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Sans

Posted by ElsieR z6 KY (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 14:56

I am excited and just want to share! My Sans have been developing flowers the last week or two. They have flowered occasionally in the past.
But today, when I checked them again, there are eleven plants with a total of 24 flower stalks! I have hit the jackpot.

Elsie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Sans

Wonderful news, Elsie. Are your plants indoors? Be sure to take your nose for a visit late in the evening. Give us a report. What species smells best? If you have a digital camera, it would be nice to see some closeups posted here.

o

They are outdoors. Most are Sans. trifasciata.
However, two are not; they are Sans. cylindrica and Sans.
ballyii (sp?).
I have never posted photos, but will try it.

Elsie

o

Be sure to smell them late in the evening and see if you can detect a difference in their perfume. And you don't need to post photos of the trifasciata, but I'd love to see the ballyi and cylindrica flower stalks.

According to Juan Chahinian's new book, he think S. ballyi is correct, replacing S. Bally 12681.

o

• Posted by mfyss w. Ill. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 29, 05 at 18:06

Elsie R,
I have not counted, but there a number of flower spikes on my Sans now, all of them on Sans trifasciata and its varieties except one on S. hyacinthoides. These are all indoors. I will probably try to pollinate some since insects seem to ignore them. I have gotten seeds from S. parva, but no other successes. Yale

o

I think they are pollinated at night by moths. It's not proven, no one wants to stay up after midnight to film this occasion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here