Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniecay

Broke my Sans

stephanie_kay
10 years ago

I have a Sansevieria trifasciata var. laurentii, that I was repotting yesterday, it kept wanting to fall over and the center must have snapped without me knowing. A little while ago, I heard a thump and the center rosette leaves were laying on the floor. Can it be saved? Will it root? Water or Soil? The basel rosette itself only has 3 leaves left, should I remove it from the rest of the plant or leave it? The center rosette has 11 leaves.
{{gwi:1251662}}
{{gwi:1251664}}
{{gwi:1251666}}

Comments (7)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi there,

Can't really tell what I'm looking at. That 1st pic looks like rot -- is it soft & mushy? If so, pls. cut it off & cut back to healthy tissue (if there's still any) on the base of that plant. It may fall apart in your hand if the rot has come through the bottom. Does it smell bad?

The last pic doesn't look so bad, if that's still firm to the touch & doesn't smell sprinkle some household cinnamon on the bottom there & shake off the excess. The cinnamon is a natural anti-fungal.

Pls. advise what you find, we may be able to help you further, even if the rot has progressed.

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi PG,
    No, the first pic is where it broke off, it is solid, not soft or mushy. I just couldn't get a clear pic., it does have some sand and soil on it.
    I read an old post (2005 I think) and I dipped it into rooting hormone with fungicide and stuck it into some dry soil. Now I will see if it sends out roots.
    Will keep all posted on how it goes.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Stephanie,
    Looks like root nubs forming. The Root-tone will help. But I think a very slight moisture in the soil may help. Touchy thing to say. Too much means rot, too little may mean more drying back. The amount of rhizome is very small. At least 2 inches is what you need. It may be up to the center of your rosette. You got noting to loose. Go for it. Hope you make out. Keep the bottom part. It may produce pups up out of the soil.
    Stush
    Keep us posted.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I think both parts will grow. The separated part has root nubs, which aren't necessary to propagate Sans anyway, so should go quickly and well. The bottom part - no way it can be stopped by the removal of a few leaves. If bets were being taken, I'd go heavily that new leaves will come from the existing rosette, as well as pups. Please keep us posted, I'm quite curious also!

BTW, I've put this type (from what I can see in your pics, I think they're the same) in full sun for the past few years while outside for summer. They grow fast enough to remove old, beat-up leaves, give parts away, and still end up with twice as much material by fall. The new growth is always so much prettier anyway.

The old tips that are ruined are from frost bite. Definitely bring them in when that becomes a threat. The leaves with pristine tips are new since 4/1.

They're in several spots and pots around the yard. This particular clump gets direct sun from about 9:30 until 3 PM.

• jansy1985
    10 years ago

I think it should be ok. I repotted mine after watching this video. She had a nub similar to this and it grew. Your's should be fine too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repotting Sans

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

Stush, you only need 3" if it is a variegated plant. This time of year even a leaf will start of that plant if you know what you are doing, put the leaf in 1" pot that is 4 " deep, use do not water it right away, the cut needs to heal over. Wait a week then water, If three leaf start will fit into that tiny pot . I did 100 flats of these cuts in just that many cuts into the pot I know this because I did it for the Huntington Gardens. That is the easiet San. to start. They can be started also in water, my grandson did it he never tried before and he used a S. Masoniana It was a variegated leaf, the starts will all come up green. Norma

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Thank you Norma. I didn't know this about Masoniana. So it too will lose it's varigations when started by a leaf section.
    Stush