Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal28

aquarium water

gardengal28
14 years ago

I have been told aquarium water is good for houseplants is this so, any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

Should be just fine. As long as the ammonia level of the water isn't too high. Then again, if it was your fish would be dead!

• gardengal28
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you!! That is what I thought, but wasn't sure. Now to get the water out of the tank and into my watering can without making a mess and my room smelling like fish water, lol.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Cup by cup, or use a syphen plastic tube put the water can on the floor, put the rubber tube into the tank, then suck on the bottom end of the tube until water begins to come down and into it. Quickly put the tube into your watering can. I also had tropical fish, Norma

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

I think the common use for this is Houseplants, not succulents.

I'm GUESSING that if used on Succulents, the nitrogen levels would be too high.

Also, broadly speaking, succulents (of which Sansevierias are one kind) generally want less fertilizer than Houseplants, much less.

I only fertilize my succulents once, maybe twice in the summer & then none at all in winter. I'd be leary of overdoing it.

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Pirate Girl and how are your plants doing, all of mine are flowering this time of the year, I am watering once a week, and fertilizing with Osmocote. The are growing wildly, but I have desert conditions here, we have about 50% humidity, which I can tolerate the plants get about 80% and love it. I have a water bucket in the greenhouse to raise the humidity. My collection has grown considerably since you have been here, I have over 300 San now. with some duplicates. The are growing out of the bottom of the pots, so I just cut them off and start them. What you saw where little and not mature plants, I do think aquarium water can be used if it is not a salt water tank. It is filtered, nitregen makes plants grow fast. If the fish can live it so can the plants, try it first on a plant duplicate. Never one that you paid $100 bucks for. Best regards Norma

• Mentha
    14 years ago

PG,
    If the nitrogen is too rich for plants, then it would kill the fish. Aquarium water if changed out regularly does not have enough nutrients to burn a plant or send it into overdrive, it should barely has enough to do any good at all. However, it does seem to help because it does have minute amount of trace elements which help plants better than the standard X-X-X. I have used aquarium water on many plants, Sansevieria also, and it does wonders for them in it simplicity.