Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonny1958

Help identifying a new Sansevieria

sonny1958
15 years ago

Hi!

I've recently been bitten by the Sansevieria 'bug' and have started acquiring a few new plants. Today I bought a new plant labeled Sansevieria 'Mikado'. I've been searching through the vast resources on the internet but can't find anything named that. Its leaves are mostly cylindrical so I thought maybe it was cylindrica but I would like to get help from experts. Any ideas?

Here's a link to a picture...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/jclaffy/Garden%20and%20Plants/?action=view&current=SansevieriaMikado.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Comments (20)

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another try at posting the photo. :)

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After a bit more research I'm wondering if it could be Singularis?

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

I don't think so, if I recall correctly, Singularis tends to be much taller & single leaf, or 2 (hence 'Singularis').

I think it's more likely some form of Cylindrica, but don't know which one.

Wait, doesn't the tag say 'Mikado', I can read it, so why do you think otherwise pls?

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought 'Mikado' might be a name given to a variation of some other type. Like S. hallii 'Pink Bat'. But I became suspicious when I could not find any reference to S. 'Mikado'. Recently I have spoken with a local grower/dealer about this plant and he had seen S. 'Mikado' sold locally as well. He believes it is a marketing ploy and is actually leaf tips S. Bacularis stuck in a pot. I tend to agree as I can see new offsets coming and some of them are developing multiple leaves, not at all like the central plants.

Pirate_girl, have you ever heard of S. 'Mikado' before? Any pointers to a reference would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Jim

• Michaela
    15 years ago

Hi Sonny,
    I believe your plant could very well be S. sulcata. I am judging by the purple sheath at ground level I see on one of the growths (which will fade and die with age), the channel which runs near to the tip, and the green horizontal bands. The leaves should be somewhat rough. I think bacularis is a synonym for sulcata. A very nice specimen you have!

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks michaela. I was disappointed to learn that the plant I bought was sort of contrived but I think I'll like the resulting Sans. just fine if it is S. sulcata.

Sonny/Jim

• nosskasi
    15 years ago

Hi, I also go for Sulcata! What size is it?

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nosskasi, the longest leaves are about six inches.

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Check out Carl's explanation in the eBay auction of S. sulcata here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansevieria-sulcata-Tall-and-thin_W0QQitemZ170234412821QQihZ007QQcategoryZ42211QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem He is the one who first suggested to me that my plant was most likely S. sulcata.

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

I'm going to be the spoiler, I think it is indead S. clindrica, there may be three leaves to a growth and the channel, may be right. S. sulcata is rather small thin with a channel, about 6 ft tall at full growth. It may be the cylindrica going by the name of 'Sky Line' all over the world and sold by the thousands, but it grows in a fan shape,having up to 14 leaves to a growth, it could also be S. stuckyi, grows very large straight up, really more like a spear. Those horrid braided ones are of this plant mentioned above. Just enjoy the plant it really won't matter what you give it as long as you take good care of it. Don't trust eBay names, any new name will sell better, many sellers are just not ethical, and you will learn to know who they are. Norma

• nosskasi
    15 years ago

Hi again, I see a channel, Cylindricas don't have channels.
    Surface rough? Cylindricas are smooth.
    But 6 inch isn't much for a sulcata.

Dwarf grown sulcata?

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

Well Jim, that rules out all of my choices. Ask the seller what it is. That is not a legal name, it is contrived, and it may be a cultivar, hybrid or? Those are imature leaves in the pot, and I am not good enough to tell just by a picture of a leaf. Go with the experts on this forum, they think they can tell by a leaf.
    6 inches not much for any of the plants that they named. Cylindrica is smooth, and no channel, so that ruled out that suggestion. Sorry that I made the wrong suggestions. Describe the leaf sheath, the apex, the length of the channel, the color of the leaf, the edges/borders, cut a leaf in the middle and show the size of the channel. In the picture it looks like a huge plant. Did you buy it on EBay? if so that would give the group a lot of information the sellers name will also tell them a lot. Sorry, Norma

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

The real S. cylindrica has 2-3 leaves to a growth, looks like you may have three growths, 'Skyline' (S.cylindra) grown all over the world by the thusands, sounds like your plant but younger, wait and see how many leaves it will get and how tall it will grow, your plant is also banded.
    If they can name that plant by the leaves then they are better than Dr. Newton and Dr. Brown, Steve Jankalski or Alan Butler, of the
    San. Journal and all of the other experts. It is impossible to do so without a flower. Wait, that plant won't die, you will have planty of time to get the right name. I have been doing this since l978 years, I certainly can't name them by a leaf. Send a picture to Dr.Newton or Juan Chahanian or Hermine
    Stover, who's book you can download free. She does not sell it. Email me privately and I'll give you the email address to do that. This is method of planting is discussed in the San Journal DATED JULY 2007 BY Scott Zona You may want to give these suggetiions a try, nothing is written in stone. Norma

• dufflebag2002
    15 years ago

S.singularis is now called S. fisherii. Pick the name that you want to belive. It won't matter. Norma

• isusandi
    15 years ago

S. 'Mikado' is a invalid name. it shall be S. sulcata. Norma, correct me if I'm wrong!!

Indra

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I tend to believe it is S. sulcata. Time will probably help so I'll update this thread with new pictures as it grows. Whatever it is I really like it.

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Two years on and it has bloomed.

• sonny1958
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another strange characteristic of this plant is a growth in the center. It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in a Sanseveria before. At first I thought it was a flower spike but it is clearly not. Perhaps it is a completely separate plant of a different type. But is has been there from since I bought the plant and has grown a bit over those two years. Here's a picture, anybody recognize that globular thing?

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi,

it is definitely S. bacularis.

Helli

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Oh,

I forgot: the thing in the center is a succulent Euphorbia.

Helli

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner