Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank676_gw

Mealy Bugs on Stuckyi

frank676
10 years ago

I noticed a sticky substance and a bunch of white critters on my stuckyi this week. A little research and I found out that they're mealy bugs. The pest also spread to the sansevieria next to it which i had to throw out. I have the stuckyi in a 3 gallon pot and it was doing so well with a few offshoots growing. But I decided to repot and I sprayed the plant down with a hose and cleaned each offshoot carefully. I know the growing process is slowed down after repotting but will those new offshoots stop growing? Also, is there any chance the mealy bugs might come back? I didn't use any chemicals to clean it.

Comments (5)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Pls. do a search on GW for alcohol swab treatment against mealies. I believe they may come back otherwise.

• Michaela
    10 years ago

You will kill the adults with alcohol, but not their eggs, Mealies suck plant juices, and sometimes go below the soil line where you can't see. A systemic insecticide is recommended here. If you don't like poisons, depot, dispose of potting mix and spray with garden hose with forceful spray. Spread leaves a bit to flush out eggs.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

No need for chems on mealies, not on a sans anyway, touch em and the die, they r bright white and slow...
    I use a tooth pick!
    If u don't keep a sharp eye on things chems r not a bad choice...

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Mealies like to hide so every one you see, you can bet there are several in the area between the leaf and the stolen and also thru the roots. Bayer systematic seems ok but when outside I use Malathion. If you chose to not use chemicals, unpot wash all soil off roots and soak in a mild Clorox solution. Part Clorox to 4 parts water. Soak for only a few minuets.

I fould mealy bugs are a after attack on Sans. Sans are tough and only when something else happens then the Mealies have a chance.
    Stush

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

Frank this may good news for you, if you can obtain at a real nursery, not a big box, not like Home depot or Target you may be able to find Lady bettle, or Lady bugs that will eat mealies, Lace Wings will also and spiders, don't kill spiders unless it is a Black Widow or Brown Recluse. Spides eat mealies, so do birds, lizards and I don't know what else? others here may however, then please let me know? I don't know where I can find more this informatiion.I do use Bayer's 2 in 1 Rose food if desperate, it will kill any insect in the soil or on the plant. Be sure to follow directions, if you ever change your soil, then wash off the roots before planting in a fresh mix. Never leave new plants in the soil they come in. All sorts of things you don't want may be in that soil. Don't use peat moss even if you live in the Eastern States, using in door plant mix add 50% coarse washed constudtion sand. If repotting plants and you change species clean you tools with baby soap or hand soap. Old pots may
    be used again they can be cleaned in water and clorox but then rinsd and put out into the sun for several days. So little space and so much to tell you all. No time tonight to continue must get some sleep. Norma Lewis P.S. did not proof this