Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nice Surprise today, 2 Tiny Pups

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 16:42

Hi Everybody,

Happy Summer (finally). Don't know this Sans.'s ID, one of the Baliis or Basebat Bat. Look what I found this morning,

photo P1110139_zpsc64858b2.jpg

I don't think it even took 6 months (I forgot to make note). I've never propagated this super thick leaf type Sans before.

One of those great things I sometimes do, stick into mix a leaf of something, set aside & forget & then one day, a lovely surprise.

photo P1110136_zps7e63ae29.jpg

Oops, sorry for the blur, but say hello to the 2 little pups.

Grown on west window, rarely watered, probably knocked out of the pot a time or two, largely ignored.

Am curious to see if the pups' leaves will resemble the parent leaf or not. Fun stuff!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nice Surprise today, 2 Tiny Pups

Hi Karen,
Congrats on your new babies. I think this is my favorite time of year for sans. Love to see the new growth poking up thru the soil.

o

Nice reward!

Josh

o

I just love finding new growth.. a great sense of fulfillment.
Congratulations.
Karen

o

Very cute!! Congrats!

o

Hi folks,

Thanks for the nice words, yes it's encouraging & rewarding & fun.

Here are some better pix, I'm a bit amazed these pups are coming up in multi-leafed rosettes.

photo P1110152_zps198d01e3.jpg

photo P1110151_zps462c25e4.jpg

Somehow, I'm surprised how multi-leafed they are when still so small.

photo P1110150_zps35bb4590.jpg

photo P1110154_zps267fd49e.jpg

o

Hi pirate_girl,
Could this possibly be a Sansevieria fischeri (old name S. singularis)? Congrats on the pups!
Fred

o

Karen now it has roots, give it a larger container, with fast draining mix. It would welcome some food this time of the year and lots of water. Norma Lewis

o

Karen,
These are the juvenile stage of the plant. Our S. trifasciata usually don't do this. That's why some call hahnii the trifasciata that stayed a juvenile. Usually the tall big leaves will come from a rhizome growth from them. Very interesting. And great growing on your part.
Stush

o

Two heads are better than one? LOL! I've popped in here before, thought I'd said something. Meant to, belated congrats! A nice looking new little clan!

o

Stush is right. Could these little fellas possibly have come from seed?

o

Karen asked me to convey her thanks for the compliments. She's away right now but will return. The plant in question has roots too small for repotting right now.

Personally, I'd leave those pups until the mother plant is nearly engulfed.

o

I agree with Jeff whole heartily. To remove them now could damage and even kill them. They need that leaf to continue to receive nourishment. No harm leaving them attached even for years.
Stush

o

Karen, I hope things are well with you. Missing you around here lately!
- Tiffany

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here