Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missshaina_gw

Repotted Yesterday, Now Smell Cat Pee

MissShaina
10 years ago

Hello,

I hope someone can offer some advice. I repotted my Sansevieria trifasciata yesterday, and now today I smell cat pee when I'm near the plant. My best guess is that the neighbor's cat got into my shed and peed in the potting soil (the bag was open, but I don't recall smelling cat pee when I was repotting it).

I've read suggestions for getting the smell of cat pee out of houseplants that involve flushing the soil, but I don't think I want to try that with a Sansevieria, especially since mine is already experiencing tranplant shock.

I'm also hoping to avoid re-repotting it because it's already in shock and I'm afraid another transplant would kill it.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments (9)

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

I've never had this problem but I'd change the mix immediately. Am guessing it's more harmful to stay in the catpeed mix than just be repotted again. I'd do it dry & then make sure to keep it away from where the cat can get it.

• laura1
    10 years ago

I've been trying to think of someway to get rid of the cat pee smell but it never seems to go away. I think PG nailed it: start over with fresh soil.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

You're giving way too much significance to transplant shock; forget that completely. Maybe that's more true of more delicate AVs or tropicals, but definitely not of Sans.

The cat pee changed the chemical composition of that mix, you need to pls. change the mix completely ASAP; it's not negotiable if you wish the plant to survive. Sorry it's not what you want to hear, I doubt there's any way around this.

FYI: Sans. are not delicate or fragile plants. In nature, they get knocked around plenty, pulled out the of the ground, walked on by cattle, all kinds of stuff.

Being unpotted a couple of times in a short while is nothing, as long as you do it dry & give it a few days before watering it.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Is it possible that the mix was fine,but the plant got "sprayed"? was the plant a territorial totem for a tomcat?

Was just thinking that when you were potting why on earth wouldn't you smell the "pee" then and there...which led me to think it had to have got "hit" after all that. I'm assuming it was outdoors?

Maybe I'm chasing my tail here...just kinda thinkin out loud,yaknow? :)

Anyhoo other than all that,ditto what all Karen said,..she has the right of it.

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Are you sure it's cat pee? Rotting Sans leaves smell pretty rank - maybe feel for soft leaves, you'll soon know. ;-)

• norma_2006
    10 years ago

If the plant is out side why would it use a pot. I have at least two strays, there isn't room in a pot for a cat to pee and cover it up. If there are other places available. It certainly wouldn't use a bag of mix to crawl into. Don't waste the mix. poor it onto soil outside on the ground around you bushes, after winter rains plant the area with color plants that like a rich soil.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

"there isn't room in a pot for a cat to pee and cover it up"

My thought was that it was "spray",not pee. I can see a cat seeing a nice vertical sans and thinking "gee,..that would make such a great signpost for a scentmarking". Next said kitty turns around does the tail kinky thing and presto...bad smelling plant.

Not that any / all of the other theories are any less interesting. :)

• Kerrie Tripp
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm aware that this is a super old thread but I wanted to note that I have been having the same urine smell issue for over a year now with my birds nest sansevieria. The plant is thriving and doesnt appear to have any rot. And I have changed the soil twice. I just dont get it. Only smells when I water it, until it dries. Today I changed the soil for an organic potting soil mixed with some cactus soil and perlite. We will see how that goes....

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    5 years ago

Wow, this is an old post. Only thing I would suggest is buying a bag of charcoal in the pet department of the big box store. Mix the charcoal into the mix and it will absorb the smell and not hurt the plant. If it's being sprayed on, I would spray it with mouthwash and let dry. You could buy the minty type to smell nice. I use cheap dollar store brand.