Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jansy1985

Splitting and drying leaves, visible roots and

jansy1985
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I am new to Sansevieria (and house plants in general). I picked up a plant with 3 pups and a small bud in 6 inch pot earlier this week. I noticed that couple of leaves had deep gashes but I assumed they might have been damaged during move etc. The soil was slightly wet so I haven't watered it. It has been sitting near a floor lamp for about 8 hours a day. Now I am starting to notice more leaves splitting and dryness at the tips of leaves. Roots are also visible at the base of plant and there's lots of pressure against the sides of plastic pot it came in. I've also noticed the leaves are not as shiny and vibrant as they were in the store.
Does anyone know if this is a result of shock from too much light or do I need to re-pot? Is it possible that this plant is diseased? I'd really appreciate any suggestions to improve this plant's health.

Comments (8)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

The plant is fine. The lights at the store make all the difference. They like well light areas and don't need direct sun. Sun at this time may burn the leaves. The soil they use is at it's peak and it is root bound. Needs repotted into a slightly larger pot. Not one that too big. Use fresh cactus mix soil. Keep warm,
    The more you check it over, the more nicks or scratches you may find. New leaves will come up and you can always remove the old ones if it brothers you. Wait until you have a lot of new leaves before removing old ones. Removing leaves will hurt the plant. I don't myself.
    Stush

• jansy1985
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Stush! Is it generally ok to just transfer the contents of store bought pot into a new one with additional soil around it? I'm wondering if that would minimize the risk of transplant shock since the plant is quite new to environment at my home already.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

No, sorry it's not, the two soils maybe be completely different & not be compatible, bad idea.

Not sure where folks are getting this idea about transplant shock; someone else said this earlier this week too.

Maybe this is true for more delicate plants, AVs & or tropicals, but not for Sans. I've seen 'em be trod on, stepped on, yanked out of planters & they recover. I believe it's far more important they get the right mix (must be fast draining), even if it means unpotting several times to get it right.

Yes, they're adjusting to their new home but these are mighty tough & rugged plants, which can adjust to most things w/ little difficulty except wet/soggy conditions.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Agree with PG, there's no such thing as transplant shock for Sans, they LOVE having more room to grow, as they are determined to take/creep over the world.

BTW, that doesn't look like anything but straight peat.

Sounds like there are pups with nowhere to go/grow. Pull it out to see them.

• jansy1985
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'll separate each bunch into a 6 inch pot with cactus mix soil. Who knew I'd end up with 4 plants when I brought this home. Looking forward to all that purified air :)

• jansy1985
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone
    An update on this post: I divided up mine about 3 weeks ago and have not noticed any changes at all. I've given it tiny amount of water once since repotting. Any ideas on how long it typically takes divided Sans to root in indoor pots?
    One of the plants was lightly brushed and fell right out of the pot. The roots have not taken hold or grown. Is this normal?
    Thanks in advance!

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Sorry, but a tiny bit of water in 3 wks is pointless. If you potted it up dry, I would have thought to water it at least once in the last 3 wks, one good watering, 'til some comes out the bottom & then wait.

• jansy1985
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought watering after re-potting may cause root rot - I guess I waited too long. thanks!