Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Sans

Posted by tropicbreezent (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 18:52

My Sans are going to be flowering soon. Their fragrance carries a long way.

gw n 140614 03

Something I hadn't noticed before, along the stems they seem to exude some liquid which attracts ants. Too early to assist with pollination. Can only guess having the ants around is insurance against other insects eating or damaging the developing flower buds.
gw n 140614 04

gw n 140614 06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Sans

Neat pics. That extrafloral nectar is, as you say, there to attract ants to defend tender growth. Lots of Sansevierias produce nectar from the nodes of flowering spikes or developing stolons like this one.
S. pinguicula stolon

o

Thanks for the explanation. I never really noticed before, until I saw the ant and wondered what it was doing.

o

Are your blooms opening yet, Tropic?

Doesn't nectar came only from flowers? Could that be guttation? It's a fantastic pic, whatever it is!

o

Still not open Purp, but the Dracaenas have been flowering madly and swamping the area with their fragrance.

I couldn't imagine the ant showing much interest if it were just water. So maybe not outright nectar, but something in it that gets the ants interested. Although, there are a number of plants that do have extra-floral nectaries, but I don't know if Sans fall into that group.

o

@purpleinopp
@tropicbreezent

Sansevierias have both floral and extrafloral nectaries.

Tanowitz, B.D. and Koehler, D.L. 1986. Carbohydrate analysis of floral and extra-floral nectars in selected taxa of Sansevieria (Agavaceae). Ann. Bot., 58: 541-545

o

Glad I asked, that's interesting! TYVM for the info. Ants have much more nefarious intentions when they get on my plants, usually to farm aphids/scales, and to excavate the soil for their egg nursery.

Tropic, if you show those Drac blooms on the house plant forum, you should get tons of "ooohs and aaaahs," including from me. Someday I will smell one... hopefully sometime before waiting for scratch'n'sniff monitors to be invented.

o

The Sans have been flowering the past few nights, there's been sensory overload in the neighbourhood.

o

There's still new buds forming on my Sans and some still flowering. They've been at it for a fair while now. Usually I get a mass flowering and then they're done for the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here