Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amany_gw

All I Know is That It's a Snake Plant

amany
16 years ago

I bought another new snake plant. I don't know what type it is though. Can anyone id it?

It needs to be repotted. The plant is distorting the shape of the pot.

{{gwi:1251845}}

{{gwi:1251846}}

{{gwi:1251847}}

{{gwi:1251848}}

Comments (21)

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Never mind. It has root mealies, so it's going back to the nursery. Eww!!!

• susancarol
    16 years ago

oh, that's sad. I love it whatever it is. I sure hope you can find another one that's healthy.

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was afraid to grab another one off the table. But I did go to Home Depot. I found a golden hahnii that was mislabeled a peperomia. I had to take it out of the muddy soil it was in.

{{gwi:564243}}

• argohartono
    16 years ago

all i know it is Sansevieria masoniana, but it seems with mason congo. Maybe it's another kind of masoniana. But i'm quite sure it's masoniana, i swear to god!

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Masons Congo,huh? Thanks Argo.

I want it!!!

I wish the darn thing hadn't been infested. I'd considered changing the soil, rinsing the plant, repotting with fresh soil and using a systemic. I have no experience dealing with root mealies though. I don't want to risk the health of my other plants.

Such a handsome plant, it was. The pictures don't do it justice.

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Plus I became afraid of ever using a systemic after reading some of the posts on this website. Yikes! I'm hoping to get lucky one day and come across another one somewhere.

Thanks again.

• flicker
    16 years ago

The green and yellow small sans is definitely golden hahnii. Kind of temperamental. I think the first dark picture was black robusta--one of my favorites.
    Some sans collectors use Bayers advanced rose fertilizer and systemic insecticide because of mealies. African violet growers use the same thing to keep out thrips and spider mites. I just got some. Whoa!! really strong smell of pesticide.
    If you check out sansevieria on ebay you will see a few but the prices are rediculous. Glasshouseworks and Bob Smalley have wonderful selections.
    Johanna

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found another one!!!

It was a part of a new shipment at the same nursery. I took a chance and bought it. I checked it for mealies and any other pest I knew of. I didn't see any. What's even nicer is that this one also had a bunch of new shoots that were bulging out of the pot.

I had to remove the soil because the soil it came in was just gross. It was in a four inch pot so, because it was bulging so much, I was going to try putting it in a five inch one. Nope! It's too big for a five incher. It will fit perfectly in a six inch one though.

I'm was so excited. I think it is a s.t. robusta. It looks like all the pictures I've seen.

Thanks again everyone.
    Amanda

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

Amanda,
    I'm so glad you could find another one! I fell in love with your sans as soon as I saw your photos. We never have anything like that here. Again, I'm so happy you found a healthy one. =:o)

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Elisabeth, you'll never guess what else I found...

Six inch pots of moonshines at Lowes that were not weed whacked!! They were from Costa Farms. The same vendor that supplies those six inch plastic pots to Home Depot. It's strange that the ones at Lowes were near perfect while the ones at HD looked so awful.

It was too late though. I'd already bought two moonshines in 3.5 or 4 inch pots. I'm happy with them, so I'm not complaining.

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    Well I'll be darned. I haven't set foot in our local Lowes in about a week, but I would have to say they probably wouldn't have any like those here. I know the two here had some moonshines in 4 inch pots, but they looked just as bad as the larger ones and well one, I could smell it when I picked it up (it was sort of lopsided so I was curious... now if that's not a sign of rotting, I'm not sure what is).

Did I somewhat answer your questions concerning the sans I had in the windowsill in that photo? I wish I could have provided you positive i.d.s or with more information, but but I'm not sure what they are. I think the one on the far left in that photo might be a futura simplex. I was thinking maybe when it gets older it may turn more laurentti like, but it looks too squat to me to be anything but. Then again, I'm not too sure if it is a futura simplex or not because it looks so hahnii like, it dosn't grow up per say... but I guess it's possible, my moonshine sort of grows more out than up.

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Elizabeth, I just realized that I've been spelling your name wrong. Sorry! :-(

Yes you did answer my question. I should have responded.

Thanks
    Amanda

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    Oh, I never noticed, haha. That's ok, I don't mind how you spell it; I'll respond either way lol. No it's ok, I wasn't chastizing you, I just wanted to make sure I somewhat answered your question. =:o)Do you have any photos of all your sans?

Elizabeth

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    I found out the name of that green one you were asking about. The all green sans in that photo is called SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA HAHNII JADE. Sorry for the caps, it was in caps on the website I found it on.

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Elizabeth. I have two all green hahniis. I'm not quite sure what types they are.

I will post pictures of my sans tomorrow. One of them is a mystery sans. Maybe someone will recognize it.

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    I can't wait. Maybe we have the same species of jade... I mean the all green one. Did you try looking SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA HAHNII JADE online? I am unable to look up a photo right now, but maybe you can find something to help you identify your green ones.

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's my small tiny collection of Sans. The two in the back (l to r) are moonshine and black robusta.
    In the middle (l to r) subspicata, javanica and a mystery sans. Javanica and the mystery sans are in the same container.
    The hahniis are in the front. The two on the left are green with lighter markings, a variegated hahnii and a golden hahnii.

{{gwi:1251849}}

The javanica (l) and the mystery (r), are two of three sans that I'm going to start hydroculture with. I got them in April. As shriveled as they are, they're not as shriveled as they used to be.

{{gwi:1251850}}

A picture of the healthy sans I found to replace the one I had to take back. Flicker (Johanna) identified it as a black sans trif robusta.

{{gwi:1251851}}

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

amany,
    Wow, those are some really pretty sans you have there. I guess I was wrong about one of your sans being a SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA HAHNII JADE. I see the robusta, but it has a lot more banding than mine does and mine is a hahnii. I think the name for the you said was variegated is SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA HAHNII JADE MARGINATA. I think it is the same plant as my other one, but like yours, it has yellow banding. I could be wrong about this too, but I saw one online with that name. Thanks for letting me see your sans. What is hydroculture btw?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

• amany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Elizabeth, you should definitely assume you're right. I'm not good at identifying sans at all. If you say it's s. t. hahnii jade, then I'd be inclined to go with that. :-)

Hydroculture is growing plants using hydroton (clay pellets) and water. The roots are not submerged in water though. At the bottom of a container there's about an inch of the hydroton and water. Then you place the roots above that and fill in the space with hydroton to anchor the plant. The hydroton wicks the appropriate amount of water to the roots.
    From what I understand, you can use aquarium gravel and perlite instead of hydroton.

I'm still learning and reading about it. Apparently sans are some of the easiest plants to convert to hydroculture. I read that it's easier if you first allow the plant to establish water roots by setting them in water. So I'm starting with the top of my snow tropic dief I just chopped, three sans, a small aloe, one or two dracaenas, an african violet and a small dief.

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

Amanda,
    I could always be wrong though lol. I found the photos on www.glasshouseworks.com If you want to see all the sans they have, scroll down to where there is a secion with photos of succulents and they are in alphabetical order with sansevieria on the list. I found both the hahnii jade on there and a couple others I think we have between us. I bought a SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA HAHNII MARGINATED today. They are kind of like the s. t. hahnii jade, except for having solid green with yellow banding, they have that tigerish coloring on the green part like a laurentii. I found it at Wal-Mart. YAY, Wal-Mart actually had something lol.

Elizabeth

• plantomaniac
    16 years ago

Amanda,
    Thanks for explaining hydroculture by the way. I asked my Mom about it and she sounded like she was a bit familiar with the process.

Elizabeth

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio