Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We had to bring him home, he was a survivor..

Posted by dainaadele Z4a-5b Nebraska (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 20:01

I had not realized there was a whole forum on here devoted to Sansevieria. :-) We added a Sansevieria trifasciata to our household last week. As we were cleaning out my MIL home that was uninhabited and unheated in SC all year, lo and behold, one of her plants was still alive. We did not have the heart to throw him away. He had survived too long to be chucked into a trash bin. Two out of five of his shoots were still green, upright and curled up tight into a pencil shape, the others where dried out and dead. I gave him a good drink and his leaves started to open up slightly after a couple of days. He rode home in a seat of honor on the 1200 mile trip home. I hope he likes his new home. I named him George.

So does he set a record? No water, no heat, and sitting out on a north facing window all year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We had to bring him home, he was a survivor..

dainaadele,
That is the main reason we love them. They are rebounders. The all green Sans. trifasciata are the most hardy. Now overwatering it will kill it faster. Also in S.C. it may not have gone beow 40 degrees inside during winter. I have one that survived 30 degrees but only for a very short time with warm ups soon after.
Sounds like you got something to remind you of your Mother in law. You know it's nickname is Mother in law tongue.

o

Wow this is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing it. George is amazing!

o

Well, quite the survivor indeed, sounds like he earned the trip home w/ you. That seems an especially fitting name, as in Brazil (where I grew up & these plants are common in landscaping), the name of these plants translates literally to:

Sword of St. George the Dragon Slayer,

so Happy New Home to George, may he do well w/ you! Perhaps posts some pix to update us.

o

Giving him a new pot is on the To Do list. Right now he is root bound and his roots are coming out of the holes. I will post pics when he is wearing his new shoes. :)

o

Still curious... hope it's going well!

o

I still think about George when people ask about watering their Sans'es... Dainaadele, are you still around?

o

Curious here too!

o

Curious here too!

o

Okay pirate girl, what have you been smoking? "Sword of St. George the Dragon Slayer" is a wonderful name, but translated from what language? As my bro would say, "inquiring minds want to know".

o

Hi Solar Storm,

Espada de Sao Jorge = St. George's Sword,

translated from Portuguese, the language of Brazil,

its colonial parent Portugal (& several other former Portuguese colonies, like Angola, Mozambique, Macao, (& I think Goa & the Azores).

I know this as Jorge is my ex-brother-in-law's name, making St. George his patron saint, which is a Catholic custom (Brazil is the largest Catholic country in the world).

o

Okay, you're off the hook. Grin. Well said. I suspected it was portuguese origin, but wanted your explanation.

o

Why? Just curious? ;>)

Cool saber? What's that from (where'd ya get it)?

o

Like most people these days, I googled it and ended up on eBay. I thought it was cool too.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay Dragon Sword

o

I forgot all about this post until I have had to re-pot and divide him a second time. -- He was sending out shoots though the holes in the bottom/side of the pot and was bending the plastic container. I left his shoots at the tip level that they were, you can't see them in this picture.

So here is George and Son George. Alive, Healthy and Well.

o

Oh that's awesome! I think of George often, thanks so much for the update. Sending good vibes for continued good health. George & G Jr. look great!

o

Thanks for the update!

Purple, reading your posts make me realize I'm not the only one who is of the same mentality! :) My daughter and husband think I need a rubber room sometimes.

o

Laura, as long as the light is good in the rubber room... right?! LOL!

o

LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here