Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmcharris

Here Are Some New Sans Pics

S. suffruticosa (spiral form)

And a Sans from Miles - I don't remember the name right now, but he called it 'Baseball Bat'.

Comments (17)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

S. hallii, thanks to Norma.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

Jeff it was reported within minutes after it was posted. I wouldn't allow something like that to get by us. Perhaps he meant to post it elsewhere and didn't realize where he was.
    Jeff I wasn't correcting you, I was only reporting the flowering of several of mine after all of these years which was a shock. Norma

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Norma,

I didn't think you were - in your other post, however, you gave the name, which was the mental trigger to remember this plant's name.

And SPAMMER (I think some sort of bot) posted everywhere he could, I guess.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

May I add some new sansevieria images here?

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Many varieties from the original established origin of sansevieria cultivation. Cradle of Sansevieria.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'll be the first to admit those are some fine plants, and I'd like them all (particularly that last one), but you're starting to sound like my first Sans conspiracy theorist / alleged authority. 'Cradle of Sansevieria' indeed, baby.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Lots of variations from the source. Collectors from Thailand, the Philippines, Japan and Italy, etc. all come here year after year looking for new and interesting stuff.
    Why would they come to here otherwise? This is where it all started and has been going on for the longest in cultivated history.

Some day you'll see it on Ebay and then in webpages, etc

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Wonderful, exquisite plants, maybe you'll consider starting threads of your own as well. Maybe you could even share w/ us where you post from & where these photos were taken.

Please tell me what does this mean:

"Many varieties from the original established origin of sansevieria cultivation"

Maybe it's me, but I sense English is not your first language. (Perhaps adding a verb into the sentence above would help me understand what that means.)

It seems you like to come on here to be contrary & argumentative; I don't think it's gaining you any fans here, even tho' we have a small readership.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

"Many varieties from the original established origin of sansevieria cultivation"
    This is a title, not a sentence. This is a heading for which these images originate.
    and BTW, your grammar is a bit muddled at that:

"It seems you like to come on here to be contrary & argumentative; I don't think it's gaining you any fans here, even tho' we have a small readership."
    And where did you go to school?
    This is more like a speech on a soap box than a proper grammar written sentence.

Perhaps living on a pirate ship too long has altered your sense of speech.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

I thought it was a sentence not a title, so pardon me.

"This is more like a speech on a soap box than a proper grammar written sentence."

I believe you've just answered my question, thanks, tho' I see you haven't commented on its content.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

"I believe you've just answered my question, thanks, tho' I see you haven't commented on its content."

I believe you've just answered my question. Thanks, but you have not commented on its content.

In regards to where these plants come from. They are grown in Hawai'i. This is the place where everyone comes to get the newest species and cultivars. People to this day are still returning to get more of Ed Eby's original Lavranos and other collected numbered species. There are things that we see today with names from its origin. The name "Koko" is a name given to a species which nobody, including Ed of where it came from. It was believed that it was named after the place where it grew, supposedly botanical park at Koko Crater. But Angel Ramos has scoured the entire gardens trying to find even one plant and this plant does not come from Koko Head Gardens. Many many species which have been planted and naturalized has come from here, but so many in Ed's collection is in his collection alone.
    Since sansevierias have been grown here, there are many sports and selections made from plants grown naturally and in grower's collections. Japan, Thailand and many far away collectors come here annually seeking new and different forms to cultivate, multiply and sell.

A new sport of trif. laurentii from a leaf cutting

Original Author
    12 years ago

So what you you call a troll with benefits?

Original Author
    12 years ago

So Karen, as we were discussing before Rufus interrupted, do you grow Sans without pumice?

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

No, not where the plants come from (not what I asked). I asked where THESE PARTICULAR PLANTS IN THE PHOTOS ARE.

No Jeff,

I still have a whole bucket (of the 2 buckets I'd had) from a particular Prince of Pumice I was pleased to know. Still smile towards him, whenever I dip into the bucket for a cup of pumice ;>) My plants are all still so glad.

Sometime I'll have to cluster all my Sans. together for a nice group shot; mostly noIDs, but a handsome group nonetheless.

• Michaela
    12 years ago

Rainforest, Does that new trifasciata laurentii of which you posted a picture above have a name yet?

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

It is a new sport of which I am aware that there are only two in cultivation. A grower in Thailand wants it very badly, so you may bee this on lists. It is a fast grower and easy to grow in any condition. While it has no true variegation, the flecks in the leaves are the variegated colors.

I will try to post another sport of the Moonglow variant. Not sure if it has been around as it is a very good grower as well.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Who grows this one and what do YOu call it?