Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solar_storm

Bob Smoley's plants

Solar_Storm
19 years ago

I've been thinking of buying a few plants from Smoley's. I'm looking for a nice bacularis (sulcata), patens, pinguicula, and maybe a cylindrica putu;a. But it says the plants sold by Smoley are mostly in 4" pots. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences they would share?

Comments (16)

• Michaela
    19 years ago

I ordered Euphorbias from Smoley's many years ago. The plants were quite small. A friend of mine ordered a "Sans special" from Smoley years ago snd one was incorrectly identified. Still others on this list say they have had very good experience with Smoley. It seems a bit of a crap shoot as to what to expect. Smoley is moving his operation to Florida. Maybe some on this list (or Cactus GardenWeb) knows when that move will be completed, and where he is moving to. I'd like to know.
    Mike

• birdsnestsoup
    19 years ago

Sans I ordered from Bob Smoley a few years back were good sized plants. They all came shipped "bare root" and not in pots. I'd like to know if he's moved to Florida yet too.

• jderosa
    19 years ago

I have bought a couple of Sansevieria from Bob Smolley over the years, and have always received the biggest, nicest plants from him. Glasshouseworks always substituted other plants for what I ordered, and the size was always dissapointing. Bob MAY send mis-identified plants, but his identification system seems no worse than any other source.

I would recommend him unconditionally for anyone looking for Sansevieria plants. As noted, ALL of his Sansevieria plants are sent bare root, which in many (most) cases means as large pups without many roots at all. I haven't lost a single plant that he sent me - all were eager to root and grow and flower, some the first year.

Joe 'no relation to Bob' DeRosa

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks folks . . . I have a "shopping list" that I may fill in the near future. And because Smoley carries most of the rarer and unusual species, I'll probably go to him.

• lainielady
    19 years ago

His webside says he will begin moving his entire operation beginning July 2004 and hopes to be completed December 2004.

I was fortunate to be able to visit his greenhouses late last fall. It was about 1 1/2 hours driving time and it was time well spent. He was most gracious in showing me around. His operation was clean and all plants appeared healthy, were labeled and well cared for. He also helped me select several sans and I was most grateful for his assistance.

I am being selfish but I regret his move, though I'm sure it will be a cost effective one due to high heating costs during winters in this area. He mentioned he had some greenhouses in Florida, but did not say anything about moving. After the winter we experienced this past year with ice cover for a month and extremely cold temperatures, I can certainly understand his decision. - Elaine

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the report Elaine. Do you happen to know when or if he will cease operations during the move?

• lainielady
    19 years ago

No, I'm sorry I don't really know. I'm providing the website link for you in case you don't have it. It has a ph # plus an email address in the event you wish to attempt contacting him.

Good luck in your quest. - Elaine

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob Smoley's link

• Solar_Storm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the link, Elaine, but I already have a shopping list of about a dozen of his plants and trying to be patient. The reason for my delay is I want specimen plants. They don't have to huge, just adult. I think those might be hard to come by - even through mister Smioley. Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and call him.

• rjm710
    19 years ago

His company will be represented at the upcoming Cacti and Succulent show near Philadelphia this August. Here's a link with more info...

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastern C & S Conference

• jon_d
    19 years ago

I saw mentions in the above posts about shipping bare root. I have received many sans this way and I think it is the best way to ship them. In pots they may suffer from damage or rot. But, bare root, if the plant is healthy, they will reroot incredibly fast and establish in your mix.

Jon

• hijole
    12 years ago

What about the sans bantel sensations? Are they more complicated?

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, Omg... I finally looked up this guy bob smoley they had this site with old question so I ask a question and it pops up here.

Lol... That's too funny o well .

Greg

• hijole
    12 years ago

Stush, Omg... I finally looked up this guy bob smoley they had this site with old question so I ask a question and it pops up here.

Lol... That's too funny o well .

Greg

• bonsaigai
    12 years ago

It's pretty goofy. Sometimes the list ends up somehow connected to another name. Asking a question there gets it repeated here. It happened to me too.

So has anyone ordered from Bob recently?

Michael
    NY Zone 6

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Greg & Michael,
    Yes, I have ordered many times from Bob Smoley. No complants.
    And Greg Bantel's Sensation is not tricky if given warm temps, bright light, and you know the rest. Lots of TLC.
    Bright light does not mean direct sun. Some sun is ok.

• norma_2006
    12 years ago

I love Smoley's Sansevieria, and the selection is the best that I have ever found. He is slow in getting them out, he has no help. You want them to be shipped when it is warm, they don't like the cold. I will not order from Glasshouse Works ever since they sent me diseased plants with a virus (it was a variety of other plants, and did not return my money). I have never had a San. get a disease never ever. End of discussion. You don't want large plants it cost a fortune to be mailed and you don't want them mailed with soil. Norma