Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruingator

Dying Sans, revivable?

bruingator
13 years ago

Total newb to taking care of plants. I've read up on taking care of Sans before I bought one (the type that has yellow sides). And I know that I can't overwater it. However I left it outside and only watered it once a week but not enough to get the soil moist, so it looked like I might have underwatered it.

Now most of the leaves are wrinkly and slightly yellow tinted. Most of the leaves are also cracked along its length. There are plenty of brown spots in places. But the leaves are still stiff. I moved it indoors and moistened the entire pot of soil several days ago, but this hadn't seemed to help so far. Is there any possibility that it'll look healthy again?

Comments (10)

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi,

a photo would be helpful to tell... But it will take more than a few days for the plant to recover. The brown spots will stay, so you will have to wait for the new growth from below.

Helli

• bruingator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some photos... (maybe it's not dying but it doesn't look very healthy either as it looks a lot yellower than before and it's got cracks on several leaves)

{{gwi:1252349}}

I don't know what's this pink stuff here but it's only on one leaf. When I bought the plant there was some on there already, but I didn't notice until I got home.

{{gwi:1252350}}

Wrinkly leaves...

{{gwi:1252351}}

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi,

the plant looks a bit bruised, but otherwise fine. No need to worry, it is far from dying.

Does it sit in a single pot without drainage hole? If so, I would prefer to move it into a normal pot to avoid wet feet.

Helli

• bruingator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Helli, what you're saying is encouraging. I'll see if it improves in a week or two weeks. It is in a pot with a coin-sized hole in the bottom. The last time I watered it, I had extra water drain out from the bottom into a dish. Previously when it was left outside, I thought if water drained out, then I was overwatering it. Apparently that wasn't a great assumption.

- BG

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

To clarify,

Generally when we water, we water until we see water coming out the bottom of the pot.

When it comes to Sans., I spill the excess out of the saucer after a few minutes, just don't let it sit there more than a few minutes. (Small sips of water aren't useful to indoor plants, contrary to what many folks think.)

I don't see any wrinkling, I agree this plant looks a bit rough, but otherwise fine. I would cut off that leaf w/ the pink stuff on it, maybe even take it back to the store & show them, but I'd definately cut that leaf off at soil level.

I agree this plant's had a tough life & its prior owners haven't been gentle, but it's nowhere near dying.

If you've been reading a bit abt Sans., may I pls. ask what is it that has you thinking it's dying? I just looked back at your comments above, abt the yellowing & cracking.

I see two newish growths on that plant, they look good.

You seem not to know this, but Sans. are extremely tough plants used to growing in crappy soil & neglectful conditions & still they continue pretty well. You'll see, a little care & it'll look better soon.

• bruingator
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ pirate girl, I seriously thought the plant was near death as I have a habit of killing plants unintentionally. The bent and wrinkled leaves (seen on the 3rd pic), the yellowness (it was a lot yellower than when I got it), all made me thought it was about to crap out. It's about 10 days now since I took the pic and it looks a little better I guess. But the leaves are still wavy instead of straight, which is what I meant by wrinkly. I hope the waviness/wrinkliness isn't permanent.

Question for anyone. These Sans seems to suffer outside in direct sunlight here in Northern Cal. It only gets about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight a day in the afternoon and the temperature hasn't been above 90 and usually stays about 85-ish. I've now taken them indoors, but I'm wondering should they have been out there in the first place or was it just my underwatering that's the problem?

Thx

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Do what they tell you in the previous post, your plant look fine, take off the ugly leves if they bother you, change the soil if you haven't done so, give it some liquid ferterlizer diluted. Give it only morning sun, and it will do just fine. Listen to Helli and Pirate Girl. They know what they are talking about. Your plant looks great. Water only when dry, stick a pencil or chop stick down in the soil wait 5 minuetes and see it the end is damp, if so don't water. Sansevieria like to be crowded in the pot. When you water water thoroughly . Let it drain in the sink or shower make sure there is no Peat Moss in the mix. You realize there are books written on this subject, so my little note here is incomplete. San. do not get diseases. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

That species grow just fine here in the San Fernando Valley in full morning sun. With more shade it will turn a lovely grass green (healthy grass) San really don't get diseases, they will get rot due to poor care, fungus due to poor care, too much water will crack the leaf, it grows then just to fast too keep up with the stretching of growth. Like a pregnant belly, gets stretch marks. Cut off the leaf it bothers you and replat it. Reread the above posts that Helli and Pirate Girl wrote, they are absoulty correct. I sprayed with diluted alcohol to get rid of fungus at the base of my apple trees. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

If leaves die from frost or too much sun, do not toss out the pot of soil, wait a month or two and water it, if the rhizomes are still fat, they will come up again, never give up on it until it is dead for a year. Norma

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

You might want to try using slightly warm water and water from the bottom, Then put a chope stick or pencil in the soil half way down and see if the water has come up that far, that way you are sure it has reached the roots and less chance that it will rot from the base of the leaves, I believe you can cut off the split leaf this perhaps may help new growth start, and do this one leaf at a time as new grow shows. This will kick start the plant. New grow makes it young again. Try starting the leaves that you remove. Norma