Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eekim

Remove shoots?

eekim
13 years ago

I bought this Sans from one of the big box home improvement stores.

When I bought it, it came in a 4 or 5 inch plastic pot. I took the whole thing out of the plastic pot, soil and all, and put it directly in the 6 inch clay pot below. I did not remove the store's soil, I just put EB Stone cactus mix soil to fill out the edges and bottom.

I bought the plant in June and there was only the middle rosette. At the beginning of July, the second largest rosette started to break the soil and grew to the size in the photo in about 3 weeks.

{{gwi:1252377}}

There is another rosette starting to break the soil appx 90 degrees to the left of the white one and another directly across from it.

Then there are two more behind towards the side of the cubicle panel.

{{gwi:1252378}}

So there are 5 rosettes grow in this pot; in addition to the big one. Is it necessary to remove some of them to prevent crowding the pot?

I'm a bit surprised at the growth because the plant doesn't get any direct sunlight it may get some diffused sunlight only. It does sit about 6 or 7 ft below an office fluorescent lamp though.

Anyone know what type of Sansevieria this is by the way?

Comments (10)

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

No! Enlarge pot, and remove all soil, do not ever keep the old soil from where you purchased the plant. You want all of your plants in the same soil, the old soil may have insects. EX: San. in the same soil. Crassula in the same soil, that way they all dry out the same time. This species loves to be crowded. So just enlarge the pot when needed. It's a good clue when they break the container. Norma

• eekim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the only plant I have at my office and I'd rather not have something larger or a broken pot there. Although I won't mind keeping more at home.

What would be my options then?

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what the problem is. There's no reason to remove the young new growth.

I'd leave them in this pot & continue growing them until the pot fills up THEN you can consider splitting it up. I agree about changing all the mix but you've been lucky so far. What's the hurry? I say if it ain't broke ...

Sorry don't know its ID. Am guessing if from a box store it's some NO ID Hybrid. What it's not is the more commonly seen Sans. w/ the yellow stripe. Personally, I prefer the look of yours, no yellow.

These plants don't necessarily need or want direct sun. In your case, given all the growth you've got it seems quite happy exactly where it is.

Unclear to me what you're asking about what would be your options then? Then, meaning after what pls?

• eekim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I bought the plant, I did not expect it to grow much; and if any, it would be upwards. The new rosettes came as a complete surprise. The first rosette I was excited about, but when I noticed four more, it incited concerns of the pot breaking from crowding given the rate of growth.

My main concern is the crowding will lead to an unexpected mess on my desk on day which is highly undesirable.

I don't want the plant growing too big causing the pot to break at work. At the same time, I'm hesitant to repot it in a larger container because I don't want a larger container on my desk. I was mainly curious if it was necessary to perform preventive action now, if anything, to keep the plant in that size container.

Anything I remove I'd grow in a container at home so it would not lead to destruction of the plant.

• citosa
    13 years ago

It's not a waterproof ID, but I've seen plants that look like this for sale as Sansevieria trifasciata 'Green Futura'.

I know you said you didn't want a larger container, but if you can compromise to one only slightly larger, I'd suggest buying a new pot big enough that the old pot would fit inside without touching the sides, and then putting the old pot in that. Or repot into a plastic pot and do the same.

I don't grow Sansevieria, so take that into account, but I think it'll be a while before you have to worry about a broken pot. Still, I wouldn't want to deal with the mess at work either, so I think the above might ease your mind. The outer pot should contain any eventual mess, and if your inner pot is plastic, you would probably notice it being pushed out of shape beforehand and be able to intervene. Just be careful of standing water if you get an outer pot without a drain hole (sorry if that's obvious; I can't tell how plant savvy you are).

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Eekim it will break out of anything you put it in. Plants will come out of the water holes, the plant will crack any pot and walk across the room. Pirate Girl he is worried about crowding in the small 6" pot. I don't know what species it is, it is growing inside with artifical conditions. Not close enough to light to have it look like anything that I have from his picture. He is not an experienced grower of the specis or Eekim wouldn't be asking this question. He will learn just like you did that square pot become round or oval with Sansevieria and they will do what ever they can to get out. Norma
    I'm sure others will take a stab at naming this plant and this will tell me what they know. Most of my plants are 20 yrs. old or older and they sure change in appearance, and size with the light I give them. I have close to 350 now at this time many duplicates. The names are driving me nuts, there has been big changes again, some plants having three names, hugs to all, Norma

• tf.-drone
    13 years ago

Hi Eekim,

your Sans grow exactly like any Sans does. The "old" growth has stopped growing forever after a few leaves, further growth is only possible with the new rosettes.

Helli

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

eekim if you had come right out and said this was growing in an office I would not have made the suggestions I did, if you said your were a beginner I would have told you how to tell if the pot needs changing before it splits. I grow a very large S. dawei in the house on a try placed on the floor. If the pot changes shape that I will do something about it. Please in the furture give all information so we can respond intelligently. Excuse my poor spelling, it does not alter the informatiion I am supplying. Noroma

• citosa
    13 years ago

In their very first post they did say it sat below an office fluorescent lamp. They also mentioned a cubicle. Then they repeated that it was at their office in their first reply. The information was there, it's not their fault if people miss it.

I don't think a clay pot is going to change shape before it breaks, but I could be wrong about that. I would be very surprised, though.

• Michaela
    13 years ago

This plant is S. trifasciata 'robusta'. It is a medium size sansevieria midway between the Hahniis and the normal, tall variety. I have not seen it with the name S.t. 'green futura', but you can see why it is called 'Robusta' ! This plant is what you get from a leaf cutting of S.t. 'Moonshine'.

It is a fast grower, but the largest leaf in your picture is what you can expect from the other leaves as long as you leave it in its present pot. You can expect bigger leaves in a bigger pot especially if you give it ny fertilizer. Personally, I'm like Pirate Girl in that I think these plants look their best when they fill a pot. I would let it go for at least another growing season and see what it looks like before I do anything else. If you want to keep it small for the office, depot at home, select the best looking growths/rosettes, and replant them in your pot of choice. You have plenty of time before you need to worry about a clay pot busting; the plant might even raise out of the pot instead of growing laterally.

Robusta is a beautiful plant with its alternating forest green and grayish bands. it is easy to keep; very undemanding. You made a nice choice for a desktop office plant.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths