Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Roamin' rhizomes in the ground

After being in the ground since mid-March, the Sans are throwing babies much farther away from the mamas than I thought. The new almost-white growth is always so pretty. They also seem to love all of the rain, or at least not be bothered by it since they're not in pots. (Over a dozen inches in the past couple weeks.)

In the company of some kind of mushrooms, go figure! This spot is in the sun from about 8 AM until 3-4 PM.

They seem to prefer going to the left...? LOL!

Way left. This clump gets sun from about 11 AM until about 2-3 PM. If winter doesn't kill these, that could actually be a problem. I put some of them in beds quite near other plants.

Comments (111)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

What better day than today?! Lol

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Monday was crap for anything outside! It started raining sometime in the night, and didn't stop until Tues evening.

By this weekend, will take pics of everything in the ground B4 I start digging anything up, but have taken some cuttings (of other stuff besides Sans.) The soil here isn't the luscious black gold I'd been building for almost a decade in the last yard, and it's been really dry, but still very cool results.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Last pics b4 digging up (have already dug a few plants from here.)

This spot is mostly shade.

This spot has a lot more sun, some of the older tips got a little sunburned at first.

Moonlight, mama to the right, new pup to the left. Pup is a LOT bigger. Both annoyingly full of leaves. The 2 small rosettes underneath are from propagated leaves from last year (of plain S. trifasciata species, like above pics.)

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Looks good Tiffany!

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Sans2014
  • Sans2014
    8 years ago

I think it was Stush who said that offsets left with the parent get bigger than the parent.

Original Author
    8 years ago

I got the tall ones potted yesterday. With a couple Kalanchoes.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    8 years ago

I use tomato cages to keep my orderly. They sell the large painted kind now.

Original Author
    8 years ago

TY. I've never had any trouble with them falling over. I love tomato cages for vines though!

Original Author
    8 years ago

More excavated & potted plants. Everybody's inside now.

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Hi Tiffany, You must be in a jungle in there!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes! All of the windows look kind of like this.

Original Author
    8 years ago

A couple updates.

This pot has 'Moonshine.' A nice looking pups is coming up.

It's in bottom right corner. Upper left corner is a fat new ZZ leaf forming.

Here's the bulk of the tall ones I brought in from being in the ground for summer. Put back in a pot exactly 2 mos ago. Just got its' 1st drink 2 days ago. Got so dry, one of the Kalanchoes looks like it might have died, but the bigger one and the Sans - no problem. The leaves are all a darker green now.

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Tiffany, you are good at what you do!

• NextObsession?
    8 years ago

Fascinating - I love what you are doing with your plants! It looks like they are loving it too. Kinda reminds me what temperate climate Plumeria growers do, plant them out every spring and pull them up wrap the roots in newspaper and store them (in the garage or warmer place, they are dormant during winter). I had no idea this was possible until GW as I live in SoCal where such measures aren't necessary but it tells alot about how the plants grow & store their energy (not in the roots!). Same with Brugmansia, people plunge those pots in the ground for summer, pull them back up and inside for winter (& prune the roots that escaped the pot). Amazing.

Original Author
    8 years ago

TY, Sans & Next O.! Doing everything I can to perpetuate the guise that I live in a tropical place is what makes me happy and gives me plant-thrills. (And I don't have to worry about any of them taking over the yard - any left outside for winter will be culled.) So much more fun than the temperate perennials I used to have. Waiting for those plain green lumps & bumps to make a few flowers for a short time is a serious yawn for me.

Plumeria has proven to be very frustrating though. I finally got buds this past summer (fall) but they didn't have time to bloom before it got cold again. I'd stuck it in the ground and, sure enough, it got HUGE. Way too big to dig up & bring the whole thing back in (to my particular house.)

10/2/15:

I chopped most of it up to send to others as cuttings, but had an attack of "I can't just let it all go" and stuck 2 pieces in my pots. I just want to sniff a bloom so badly! After that, I'll be more than happy to get rid of all of it. I don't have room to keep something like that just for the hope that it might bloom on a plant I'm much attracted to otherwise. Make room for other Begonias or Coleus, I say! (Or, of course, other varieties of Sans!) They're so much easier to handle and are gorgeous every day of their lives.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    8 years ago

Tiffany, in one of your photos above, I see you have one of my very fave plants, the philodendron "Micans." Mine is so velvety and I love it so much. Too bad I don't yet know who to post pics. Also, while I'm here, my fave sans are the plain sans. trifasciata and yours are to die for. Keep those pictures coming in. We're freezing here in SE Michigan and some of my sans are throwing up new leaves in the also coldish house. Unbelievable. I also used to have that Swedish ivy on the far right of one of your pics. About 200 years ago! Loved it. Haven't seen one in a very long time.

Thank you for posting your beautiful plants and pictures.

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TY for your kind comments, Pat! Your plants sound very happy! The pic I put on 1/18/16 is how my Sans will look and stay until they can go back outside again. Hopefully in about 6 wks... (Ugh, I can't edit the typo "a nice looking pups is coming up." It's just 1.)

If you're still in need of Swedish ivy (Plectranthus verticillatus is what I have, specifically,) keep an eye on the house plant forum this fall. I'll probably be offering that free for-postage again, along with Sans and any other plants that have grown more mass than I have room to bring back inside.)

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Tiffany to edit your post you have to first submit it then it will allow you to edit it.

Fred

Original Author
    8 years ago

TY. The typo was submitted 1/18 @ 7:18 AM, and will remain. Edit option has expired.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Just-planted pics of plants in ground for this summer...

Sorry about the cardboard in this pic. It's holding a bare spot until I can buy some patio bricks to put there.

7 years ago

Can't wait till fall when you dig them back up.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    7 years ago

Tiffany, is that an epiphyllum anguliger or selenicereus anthonyanus next to your sans futura?

Did you plant out the sans group with the yellow pup?

• enterotoxigenic000
    7 years ago

A good morning to you. I just read through all the posts to take in the slashing of the leaves. I'll have to try this when my job slows down. I still have the moonshine you sent to me a year or two back. It has grown nicely and has given me many pups which I just love to see.

Karen

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked enterotoxigenic000
    7 years ago

I still have a big pot full of Moonshine to give out.

Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL, Stush, pls don't rush through summer!

Akrrm, I think it is. Yes, I did.

Karen, nothing's happened from my leaf-slashing yet (except holes in leaves,) but these things can take time... It's harder for me to keep track of these things the way I move plants around 2x year. The holes-in-leaves are an easy experiment though! LOL!

• floorwalker IN zone 5b/6
    7 years ago

Stush2049: I'm interested in the Moonshine. How would it work?

7 years ago

Floorwalker,

Email me with your name and address, When box arrives, pay me the postage marked on box to my address also marked on box.

Stush stushqk@gmail.com

Original Author
    7 years ago

Noticed these 2 flower stalks forming.

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    7 years ago

Cool! How long ago did you plant them outside?

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Over the weekend of 4/9, 4/10.

Original Author
    7 years ago

An update pic with blooms open.

7 years ago

Tiffany, I just love looking at your photos. I didn't mean to rush thru summer but love to see how much they grown come harvest time. How nice if you had a place to live in Clearwater Florida. You could leave them out all year. Once in a while you might have to cover them with sheets but not in the last few years.

Note to Russ, See, sans growing great in outdoor soil. Just like Florida.

Original Author
    7 years ago

TY, Stush! If I lived where they are hardy and invasive, I wouldn't put them in the ground.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Some progress shots. Whitney:

This spot I was worried about getting stepped on, hence the bricks.

The yellow pup is still yellow, maybe more yellow. (All 3 pups have grown from the leaf to the left.)

These pups are doing well.

Moonshine is also making pups.

There's a scattering of Sans in this area, with Coleus, Swedish ivy (Plectranthus verticillatus,) basket plant (Callisia fragrans,) various other plants.

7 years ago

Tiffany, You do know you got something special in that yellow pup. Keep it attached to the others and try to give more shade. I lost mine in direct sun for only an hour or two in a window. It was enough to collapse

it and it died. Other pups doing fine.

Original Author
    7 years ago

TY for your concern, Stush. Sorry about your plant!

Here's a couple pics from just now of the "yelbino" pup.

New pups are showing up well on the mama plants. Moonshine:

S. trifasciata species:

7 years ago

Tiffany, I am in love with that 'yelbino' pup. You got a winner. Good name also. New growth on trifasciata is exciting. If only it stayed that way!

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Me too, I thought it would shrivel up by now! If it can live autonomously & produces yelbino pups, that would be cool. Are there any yellow ones already? I'm with the skeptical, that it won't survive when separated from the other pups & mama leaf. I think that's the real "test." If it can't stay alive on its' own, it won't make pups. And if it does, they may not be yellow.

No new growths have come from any of the holes I've put in leaves... as an update on that too.

7 years ago

Tiffany, There just may be enough green in the 'Yelbino' for some day to go on it's own. I would wait till it's a few years older and then see if it looks green enough. That 'Yelbino' will produce yellow pups around it some day if it lives long enough but keep it attached to the mother leaf, the green shoots come from the mother leaf also but from the center green portion. Best to leave all alone and plant up together come fall.

• GreenLarry
    7 years ago

Makes me think of something I read today about the so called Walking Sansevieria

Original Author
    7 years ago

2 days ago:

Yesterday, after pulling up buckets of WJ (Tradescantia zebrina.)

Original Author
    7 years ago

Results were much less dramatic than past years because it's hardly rained since June 1 here.

Moonshine:

I think Whitney might even be smaller from me cuttings off leaves to play with.
    These got a lot more water, so close to more thirsty plants.
    From farther back. So much drama from one little clump.
    Another spot of the same striped fellows with striped Callisia fragrans & C. elegans.

7 years ago

Always a pleasure looking Tiffany.

7 years ago

I'm jealous. I'd love to be in an area where I could grow them in the ground!

7 years ago

Floorwalker, Tiffany has to dig them up and bring in for the winter. You got a good 4 months outside in the ground if you want to try some. It's a lot of work but look at the results she gets!

7 years ago

It would be worth it!

• akrrm (Nancy in NJ 7a)
    7 years ago

Tiffany has the yelbino sans grown?

Original Author
    7 years ago

Not much, awful drought here this summer.

'Whitney' demonstrating so well how the rhizomes grow.

A load of plants I dug up today.

7 years ago

Tiffany,

Your 'Yelbino' looks to have a very faint amount of green in it. It just may be able to live on it's own. You know it will be a real challenge to grow. If it does, please consider me for a large pup some day.

One of your trifasciata looks to be more hyacinthoides.

Original Author
    7 years ago

We will find out soon, excavation on to-do list for this weekend. You would absolutely be the first person that comes to mind if I find myself in a position to share an unusual Sans!

That long rectangle pot also has some Billbergias in it, I forgot to say that, and a Begonia.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner