Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roamin' rhizomes in the ground

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 8:07

After being in the ground since mid-March, the Sans are throwing babies much farther away from the mamas than I thought. The new almost-white growth is always so pretty. They also seem to love all of the rain, or at least not be bothered by it since they're not in pots. (Over a dozen inches in the past couple weeks.)

In the company of some kind of mushrooms, go figure! This spot is in the sun from about 8 AM until 3-4 PM.

They seem to prefer going to the left...? LOL!

Way left. This clump gets sun from about 11 AM until about 2-3 PM. If winter doesn't kill these, that could actually be a problem. I put some of them in beds quite near other plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roamin' rhizomes in the ground

where I live sans. don't die in the winter. They can become quite invasive...and hated. For the most part I keep mine in pots. There is one I have in the ground now that I'm fearful of losing control of.
You might need to keep a close eye on yours ;-)

o

Yes, one doesn't have to go much farther south into FL where they're known to survive winter and invade also. I will probably leave one clump for novelty curiosity, take one inside.

Sending the rest to new homes for postage when frost threatens has always been my plan when I started unpotting and digging.

Sure are similar to the Cannas I just removed from one of the spots where I put them last summer. Multiplied heavily (I put 6 little pieces in the ground and dug up enough to fill 2 5-gallon buckets,) and clearly had plans to use every inch of that bed within the next year.

o

Moonshine has throw a baby, finally. A much more slow-growing plant, from what I've seen.

o

Purple..I LOVE your experiments. I have found my moonshine is much slower to pup. I would think that PIG would be much more ideal conditions though.

I know that you have a lot of Sans in the full sun. I have mine on my deck in bright shade. Do you think yours grow well because they are PIG in the full sun? Will Sans tend to fry if put in full sun (after acclimation, of course) in pots?

o

Thanks, Laura! I hope someone with experience with more types will speak to that, but I've been told not all Sans appreciate as much sun as others. If it's the same kind as mine, I did have them in tons of sun the past 2 summers while in pots. Didn't do much in the way of acclimation but since it gets warm here so early, the rays are much weaker when they go out. I just put plants on the front porch, then start moving some out to more distant spots in the sun or under trees. Might sit there for a week before I decide, or just a few hours, or get moved a few times before deciding on a good spot. This year, the 'good spots' seemed like right in the ground.

I think it was Stush that said the yellow-stripe-edge one doesn't like as much sun after I'd already put mine in quite a bit of it. Again, it was so early when I got it last year, the weak rays may be all the acclimation needed. All summer last year, it was in the sun from about 2-3 PM until sunset.

Erred on the side of caution putting them here, a couple hours of sun, mid-day.

This spot is much more sunny, from about 10 AM until about 5 PM. No idea who the little guy bottom left is. Addicted to sprouting avocados suddenly this summer... ESPECIALLY when the fruit is too rotten to eat the day after I bought it. (Speaking of sprouting, almost all of those little sprouts in this pic are acorns. I pull too many to count every day. I just did this spot less than a week ago. OMG!)

To give you an idea, it's a spot where butterfly bush, Lantana, knockout roses, passion vine, are doing well.

o

I believe that's a Whitney on the bottom left. Thanks for sharing all the nice pics!

o

Makes me hate all the people in nice warm climates. That is until it gets above 90, Just kidding. Nice growing when they are in their own.

o

Hmmm... Stush, you said that, and it got warmer up there than down here. Interesting! I do love the white color on the new leaves most of all, of anything about Sans.

Thanks, Laura! That sounds familiar, maybe I can remember that this time.

Meant to add, if anyone is familiar with Canna rhizomes, Sans are so similar! Putting these in the ground has been quite enlightening.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 17:37

o

I never knew that snakeplants can be so invasive

o

...And I'll never be able to see another potted one as anything more than a prisoner!

o

Gee, that sounds unfortunate! (unless you're joking)

o

Exaggerating perhaps,but good call on my sense of humor,Karen! I do believe some miss my cues. ;)

Meanwhile,when you look at a free sans doing it's thing unhampered by a container and free as a bird,..you can almost pity the poor pot-bound ones.

Wanna help me in an eccentric attempt to free sansies everywhere,..no?...oh well. :/

...and yes,..I'm being silly! :D

o

Well that is silly, but fun! All potted plants are prisoners! Shang'hai'ed (oh spell check you are no help with that at all,) so to speak. The trick is to develop the Stockholm syndrome with each and every one.

But seriously, if you see the contortions through which the pups/rhizomes must go through to find the surface in a pot, I do feel kind of sad, guilty, but mostly I feel hopeful - for what they can do now that I'm giving them more room ('cuz I'm in there, looking at the situation due to repotting.) What a great metaphor (plantaphor?) for 'hang in there, keep trying.' Sans is my fav plant for that, been through a lot with me. When I look at Sans, I feel more confident and calm, and resilient.

Your mention of 'freeing the Sans' reminds me of that scene from ET when the kid lets the frogs loose - Ha!

o

I'm lobbying for vegetable rights....what can I say? ;)

o

A pic of final progress while still in the ground is in this discussion, Oct. 30.

After I sent the extras away to new homes, I kept what you see in the pic below. I shoveled the chunks of plant out of the ground, and set them in this pot. Until last night, the pot was out in the sun some days, but mostly hiding from cold in a shed. So cold last night, I brought it in the house.

o

This morning, I noticed this stalk of buds. Glad it had to come in, I might have missed the flowers!

When I put these back in the ground in the spring, I'll take a pic right away this time. This story kind of started in the middle of the season.

o

Cool!

o

Thanks Tiffany for the update. I enjoyed it. I got to repot my very old gang of trifasciata. They have been together for 40 years and most are just hanging on. I plan to use your advise of planting in the ground and saving only the new growth come fall. Nobody I know wants the plain old trifasciata any way.
Stush

o

Glad you're enjoying the story, Michael.

I hope you have as much fun with it as I have, Stush! You may surprised how easy they are to find homes for in the fall.

(Not all plants did as great with the in-ground experiment, but it was a weird year with 2 months of missing sun, flooding rains.)

o

What a great thing to find, congratulations to you! Extra nice New Year's present.

Am a bit surprised to see it in bloom in Dec., but then I remember I saw a similar looking Sans. setting & opening similar looking blooms late last month in a Manhattan store window, I'd stopped to admire it. Cool indeed, I hope to experience it someday.

o

PG, me too! You so deserve it! I put that pic on FB and someone else replied their Mom's was blooming. These crazy things don't seem to have a 'bloom season' do they? The last time I got a flower was in April ('11 or '12) I think. A chunk I gave to my Mom made a flower about a month ago. Strange!

o

Sans are PIG for summer, in my Mom's yard this time. Here are the plants I kept from what was in the ground last summer (with a few other newly-planted companions.) Until now, this spot has been used as part of the walkway. I put stuff that will be big enough to not get stepped on.

o

Here's another section in a different areas, with some Callisia fragrans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here