Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Gold Flame' and Stush's mimic

Posted by woodnative 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 8:21

Just a photo of my 'Gold Flame'. Also the plant that Stush kindly sent me a while back. These seem to be showing up on occasion in stores............not sure if it is one and the same or not. Some differences in the two....both nice Sans!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Gold Flame' and Stush's mimic

Pretty!!!

o

Do you think Stush's plant might grow up to be Lillian True?

o

Hi Barb,

Not sure which above plant you mean, but neither looks like Lillian True (which I'm told & have read) is a green & white variegated Sans. like Bentel's Sensation (not green & yellow like these).

Lillian's True along w/ Bentel's come up often in Sans. literature as being stable variegates, which will reproduce true rather than revert back to all green.

o

Hi Karen,

Ummm, my Lillian True is quite yellow and very dark green, and the stripes are different on each leaf, also different front and back. I just don't know if Stush's plant will get tall enough to qualify.

o

Then I respectfully suggest that ID is not correct.

Where did you buy it & did it come w/ an actual ID? Or is it one of these more informal sort of 'guessed at' IDs some folks seem to be doing here at Sans?

o

It came from a well respected collector. If you will do a web search, you will find many photos of Lillian True. It is a tall plant, and usually has dark green leaves with yellow edges and some additional striping. Some of the leaves are more yellow with narrow green striping. It is also known as Slipped Stripes by some people. It's one of my favorites

o

"I also have 'Lillian True' given to me by a well known sans person on this web. Mine is just like Bmock said. I think those are the ones I called extra stripes. Like the one I sent to PG. The Golden Flame is even more yellow but I like the extra stripes because it is still developing into something.
Chris, The one I sent you is on the Left. (I think). I didn't know it would develop into 'Flame' or continue into some other pattern. "
Stush

o

Stush,

Remember the one you sent me? It has stayed small, but sending out some nice varied stripe leaves. I think it is the same kind you sent to Chris. It has that strong contrast of yellow and green and is a nice addition to my grouping. It will be fun to see how tall these eventually will grow. Will they be in the furura group or taller?

o

Bmock-
I am not sure! Time will tell but I think this is different.
Pirate Girl- Yes 'lilian True' is yellow striped.......looks a lot like Compacta with extra stripes, but does not have the same gold smearing on the leaf tips thes plants have. On an unrelated note I know you like white-variegated Sans....I can send you a pup of 'Siam Silver' if you are interested. Let me know.
Stush- yes, your is the one on the left. Nice coloration and it has been fun seeing what it develops into!

o

Nice growing. It sends out pups, you know you got a good root system.

o

Sorry, maybe I missed something, but the one Stush sent me, the infected one? That's some Golden Flame I thought Stush said.

The Lillian's True I've known abt is tall, yes, & thin striped but w/ white, not yellow. How confusing. Guess I'll have to do some searches when I have a moment.

The other one you sent me Stush is green & white, thin vertical stripes, not yellow.

WN, thanks for your lovely offer, I may just take you up on it. Let me think for a bit & make sure those insects didn't spread pls. before I bring in any newcomers.

o

Here's a current picture of mine. The one I sent you Chris is more of extra yellow stripes which I think is something special. It should stay at the Futura size. The leaf of each one is different.

o

Those are quite attractive and healthy!

Josh

o

I agree with Pirate Girl, where in the world do you folks end up with these names, 'Lillian True' I haven't seen a picture of one posted yet. Each leaf is not different, if you keep it in the shade it can grow taller, but it will still be 'Lillian True' grown in the shade and it is a very stable sport. Hermine Stover found it in Lillian Greenhouse, and named that plant with Lillian's daughters premmission. End of story. If you have her book please read about it in there, because I don't guess. Hermine gave one to Ruth Crane and she renamed it and sent it to Bob Smoly or Glasshouse Works I forgot which one. They named it slipped stripes. Norma

o

Can anyone tell us (me) when & where S t. 'Gold Flame' is described? It's not in Chahinian's book on trifasciatas, and I'm pretty sure it's a "futura" type or as Juan now wants us to use ""future" - getting away from the Latin form.
Also, if Gold Flame isn't a future type, it sure looks like S.t. 'Cragii'.

o

Solar,
Do a Google search. It will probably send you back here. But it is produced overseas and maybe local. It was not available when Juan did his book. Bob Smoley has it and so does Glasshouse Works. It is a very unstable plant.

o

'Craigii' is much different.......a taller plant very light in color......in coloration similar to 'Golden hahni'.

o

My 'Lillian True' (slipped stripes) is small and getting larger and started with new pups coming up. As soon as it gets a little larger I will post pictures of it. It looks a lot like my Laurentii but with much more yellow with an occasional extra stripe in the leaf. Juan Chahinian description of it on page 24 of his book 'The Sansevieria Trifasciata Varieties' is just like mine.

o

I found 'Gold Flame' described by Chahinian in ISS Journal Vol 3, p3 (May 2002). Confirms it's a future type - which we all knew.

o

http://charlie-cook.com/products/browse/index/category:Sansevieria

Check this link. Look for Kristi. Kristi looks like the same as Stush's striped plant. What do you think?

o

Also, if you do a Google search for sansevieria Kristi, you can see some patent info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here