Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susancva

Solid Green Sans

susancva
16 years ago

Does anyone know if the solid green sans is tall growing?

Thanks,

Susan

Comments (8)

• flicker
    16 years ago

Which sans are you talking about?
    Johanna

• susancva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't have a clue as to its proper name but I found it in Home Depot and its a solid green, no pattern like the others. If I were going to compare it to something, its the same shade as Janet Craig Dracaena but its definitely a sans variety.

• flicker
    16 years ago

If I found a solid green with no crossbanding, I would assume it is hahnii jade--just because they do have that one sometimes. It does get about 8" if real happy.H jade is a robust growing fine sans. There are tall growing solid green sans that I have seen pictures of, but never seen in person. I have trifasciata black robusta which is a fine looking black leaf. It does not have the best name--robusta is a species desert cylindrical sans totally unrelated to my plant. Mine is like a black futura-a wide leaf,14"tall , crossbanded at the bottom, loosing the bands as it goes up and turning black in age.
    Johanna

• Michaela
    16 years ago

Given it is sold at Home Depot, I might suggest it might be 'Moonshine' which is typically 10-14 inches tall - depends on age and growing conditions. Young laves are typically silvery in color which later wears away and becomes "green".

• dufflebag2002
    16 years ago

Joanna good questions. I have over 200 San. I would also need a picture.
    l. how long in the tip
    2. is the pertioe narrowed
    3. how tall is the plant
    4. How wide are the leaves
    5. Do the leaves have a channel
    6. Do the leaves from a vase
    7. Are there new and old leaves on the same plant
    8. This is a difficult genus to ID
    The "experts" fight over these names, so who are we to say we know what it is.
    Young leaves change with age. Just like we do.
    I like to see a plant about 5 yrs, old grown, hard, so it developes character, than try to identify it. Sometimes hairs must be split to get it right.

• susancva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

don't think its jade, doesn't that one have white margins?
    I know its not moonshine, already have that one.
    I'm surprised no one has seen them in their HD. For a while that's all I saw in every HD. :)

Susan

• flicker
    16 years ago

Thanks for the list of basic charateristics to consider when describing sans to determine which general group into which it belongs. You should add this to the files as an IDing tool on your forum. This would be helpful to newbies and lurkers, especially.
    I don't think that I have ever seen a harder group of plants to classify. I have done a little of this with passiflora but sans are difficult.
    Johanna

• flicker
    16 years ago

Susan,
    The hahnii jade marginated has a white margin but there is a hahnii jade with no margin or crossbanding I think it is pretty because the center is a paler green. It puts out pups well, too. HD has both of these hahniis sometimes.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists