Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jderosa_gw

Monthly report - July

jderosa
19 years ago

Well, all the plants are doing fine (though some are a tad bit bronzed from the sun). The only one with any real damage is the S. hallii variegated - the new growth has a large scab on the top surface of the leaf. I hate when that happens, but the plant is fome and growing (if disfigured).

Many of my Sansevierias are staring to send out new growths - this seems early to me. I don't think I';ve ever had my S. masoniana start a new growth before early September in the past, and the S. hallii usually wait until they are indorrs before the new growth breals the soil line. I have gorth showing on both of these, as well as on my S. sp. 'Kenya giant spoon leaf', S. sp 'Kenya dwarf spoon leaf), S. parva ( no suprise here), the S. parva 'white variegated' is sending out a couple of shiits (it took over 5 years to start sending shoots, now it can't seem to stop), the variegated S. cylindrica pautula, hallii, masoniana and kirkii pulchra have growth that is close to, but not through, the soil line yet (any day now),all the S. trifasciata clones (not too suprising), S. sp 'Malawi Bat', S. kirkii kirkii, and S. kirkii pulchra. This is pretty unusual, but I am not complaining. It looks like the S. cylinrica cylindrica is taking a year off (it flowered this year) so I don't expect a new growth to break the soil line until spring, although a new growth is just starting to form. This should take at least a month to start elongating, then all winter to grow the 2 feet it seems to need before it starts a new plant.

This has been a good summer so far - let's see if I can keep things going until fall.

Squirrels have continued to be a garden problem - even digging up some of the Sansevierias this year, but all the affected plants weren't very valuable or damaged much.Sometimes they seem to kile the new plants that have just been potted, but this year they went after a couple of big trifasciata tytpes that are years old, with over 30 plants in the pots. They were very efficient in removing most of the soil, but suprisingly did very little rhizome damage. The plants sprang back great, anbd in fact, may be growing more due to the root disturbande now. Sometrhing to consider next year....

Joe 'I learn something new every day' DeRosa

Comments (5)

• Cena
    19 years ago

Not often, do I spray the screen while reading, but your new spelling of 'shoots' caught me off guard, Joe!

I have new growth on hallii, the NoID, and my 'Black Coral' that I have seen so far. The growth on my 'Bantel's Sensation' is still stalled, I think I will have to move it somewhere MUCH brighter to get it going again.

Since starting my new job, I have pretty much been running a holding action, rather than doing the repotting and care that my plants 'should' be getting.

It was nice to see all this new growth, even if I am running a holding pattern. Nature never ceases to amaze!

• entwife
    19 years ago

All my Sans seem happy, and are growing like crazy. I have a spoon leaf-not sure which one-that is just going nuts. This plant has the biggest root system I have EVER seen, and has all kinds of new growth coming up. I also got a TINY golden hahnii about a month ago, and it has doubled in size already. Nothing bloomed this year, but I didn't expect them too, since they're all pretty young plants.

Squirrels aren't a problem, but ants ARE! Hate 'em!

I envy you those variegated Sans, Joe!

Cena, I have 2 Bantels Sensation, and they are strange plants. They do nothing for a long time, and then suddenly they will have a growth spurt. I'd definitely try a little more sun.....

:-)
    Cyndi

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

I put a lot of my plants outside on the deck this summer and they are loving it. I have growth on patens, Horwood, several trifs and hahniis. My Bantels Sensation did nothing for ages and in the last few weeks has sent up a beautiful new leaf.

• jderosa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WOW- I had my hands on the wrong keys more than usual that message. Sorry for it being so garbled, but sometimes not having a spell check leads to some interesting correspondance.

Joe 'I have fatr fingers' DeRosa

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Makes for fun/funny reading tho' Joe.

Should you care to spell check these entries & if you have Word, just cut & paste your message into a Word doc, then spell check it, correct & cut & paste the corrected one back into here.

I got into this habit recently at home as I have only one phone line; when I'm online & the phone rings, I can't finish my post. I've learned the hard way, if I'm writing something long, I take a minute to save it to Word just in case.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio