Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Best plants are gifts, Gold Hahnii

Many thanks to Chris, Mike, Barb and some others here. I wish some day I can repay all of you. This is a gift of my favorite hahnii given to me by enterotoxigenic00, Karen.
I ask her to give me one with pups so I can see if it would continue. She gave me two big plants w/pups and one alone. I planted them up and kept warm. So far so good but 'No New Pups'.
Stush

Comments (33)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's my other 'Gold Hahnii' with the twin sprouts along side with on left another gift from F.F. and on the right side, a purchase on EBay selling 'something different', and said it was not Gold Hahnii. It does get darker and maybe 'Lucille Polen' but more time is needed to see what it develops into. And these guys have puped for me.
    Stush

Original Author
    9 years ago

Now if given a little size to them, they look like Futura 'Asahi' and/or 'Morgenstern's Futura Aurea'. Also gifts from Barb and Mke.
    Stush

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

I have recently again received several wonderful gifts.
    Although the golden hahnii has long been my favorite
    the acquisition of a delicate Parva white is fighting
    for first place. But an offset I just discovered on a
    golden hahnii has given it a good lead. Although, the
    Parva white is so delicate and unassuming.
    Several of my first sans still haven't been identified,
    oh well, at least they're still alive!
    A thank you again to those who have contributed to my
    obsession. My DH says, "yeah, thanks a lot." Lol
    Karen

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Hi Stush,
    You have some good looking hahniis! They will surely make some pups for you one of these days.
    I agree, I like the plants from sharing and trades the best. Thanks to all!

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Stush- They look as healthy as can be. I would think they would pup soon.......maybe by the end of the summer they will pop a couple out!
    I like parvas. For all the white in it white parvaas seem to frow fairly well. The yellow variegated seems slower for some reason. I grew a seed from the yellow variegated but it is coming out plain green.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Most seed will come out the original plain virility. This happens with my Hosta. Millions of seeds and I only saw all shades of green. No variegation. Seed of Clavia plant that was heavily variegated still got one out of 12 to be variegated. I guess that why the price is so high.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Stush do you grow any of the streaked Hostas? You can get variegated seedlings from them.......I have a few cultivars like 'Fascination', 'Athena', 'Outrageous' etc. Gives a more random mixup of variegation that sometimes shows up in the seedlings. I was hoping the parva would work the same way but with one seedling it is hard to do statistics lol! BTW those 'Sieberts' are very vigorous and keep pupping true. From one I have many!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris,
    I have the old original hostas. Great Expectations, Frances Williams, Fire & Ice, so forth. Seed pods does get a stripped pattern and should produce variegation but I don't end up seeing them. Maybe those new ones will be more giving. Watch out for Virus X in hostas. In was in a lot of hosta sold at big box stores in past few years.
    My Sieberts does show a pup.
    Stush

• Michaela
    9 years ago

What I like Most, Stush, is your obvious love and enthusiasm for all things Sansevieria :-) Your plants look great.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Some on summer vacation in my backyard

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Hosta 'Athena' A streaker. You need for the pod parent to have this unstable, random streaking in order to get a good percentage of variegated seedlings. I am sure the same is true for sansevieria.... Just a much slower process. Btw no Hosta virus x in my garden. Apologies if I have gotten too off topic..... Love your posts Stush and your sans look great!

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Here is futura'striated'. I wonder if this could be used for variegated seedlings?....

Original Author
    9 years ago

Something strange I noticed on my Sans. If into the direct sun, they get more yellow variegated. Under fluorescent lamps, they tend to get more all green. Seems the high rays of the sun help to preserve the week mutated gene.

My 'Streaker' start to develope almost all yellow leaves then put indoors to see the next new leaves all green.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

All just beautiful woodnative. Is the temperature where you are as hot and dry as it is here? Only 105 here today. The sans that I did put outside this year are truly enjoying the heat in the shade. I'm still cautious about putting some of the younger plants out.
    Stush, your golden hahnii really did grow and seem to be a richer color.
    They are as cute as can be.
    Karen

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Karen-
    I am in central NJ. We have had a wonderful summer......relatively cool and with adequate rain. We have had some very HOT summers in the past several years.........the Sans probably did not mind but everything else dried up. They do benefit GREATLY from being outside.......makes me wish I lived somewhere where they could be grown outside all year long. No wonder those Thais produce so many wonderful plants!

Original Author
    9 years ago

In South-West Penn. our summer is too wet and cool. This week, never hit 80's. No good for my Sans or Asciepiads. My jades, I am afraid to water them at all. I almost lost one Huernia. Base rot. Got one peice still good. Rest is trying to root. I have used sulfer to cover them. Seems to have boosted it up some.
    Also most importantly, does any one know how acidic Sans like it. Down to 6 better than 7???? Most African plants are in the Acidic range? Really need to know this. More acidic means less fungus or rot.
    Stush

• barbmock
    9 years ago

I'm feeling a little discouraged. Our summer has been rainy and cooler too, Stush. Some of my sans are suffering. I found the centers rotted on several plants this week. I try to keep them covered under the eaves of the house or on a table with an umbrella. My Gold Hahnii is a goner. I don't think any of my sans have grown this year like they did before. I think the weather is to blame.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to use sulfur on my plants. It will lower the Ph but I think that is a good thing. Ph is important for plants to use up the nutrients in the soil and grow. If getting base rot, seems to not hurt to use some sulfur dust. Sold in stores for roses and azaleas.
    Stush

• barbmock
    9 years ago

Stush,
    Have a look through this document, it's a sansevieria production guide from Florida. It has info on PH ratings.
    http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/sansevie.htm
    I don't think I have rot in the soil, I think it was from water standing in the centers. We were away for a while on vacation during a rainy spell.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Barb,
    Email me about replacements.
    Stush

• greendale
    9 years ago

Do you think these two are Gold Hahnii too? Got them form lowe's clearance, they are doing good now. Thanks

Original Author
    9 years ago

greendale,
    They look as much like Gold hahnii as mine does. Great find. I used to see them around but in the past few years, only in plant arraignments with other plants I don't want or want to spend a lot on. And you got them on clearance. Wow, double nice.
    Stush

• greendale
    9 years ago

thanks Stush. yes, even these two are in a mixed bowl with other plants, fortunately or unfortunately other plants (that I do not care much) in that bowl are all rotted away/dried - that's why it on the clearance rack. :)

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Good find! Same here a couple years ago the Golden Hahnis were showing up in thier own pots fairly regularly but now I am only seeing them in those mixed planters also.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Good or bad, I am lowering the ph of all my Sans. after reading that they go as low as 5 to 6.5. Most mixes are in the natural range 7. The lower ph, will help them take up nutrients in the soil and help their general health. Fungus can't live in low ph and I don't think many bugs can either. I noticed the pick-up on my Huernia immediately. I'll let you know.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Stush,
    Have you noticed more growth this summer regarding the alfalfa (I hope I'm remembering that correctly) than last summer?

Planto

Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto,
    Just very well maybe the alfalfa feedings thru the winter. I now found a pup on my Gold Hahnii. Also in the window box. Several new pups coming up with the others. So maybe I hit the jackpot. Most all the others have pups springing up now also. Happy dance time.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Stush,
    Wow! How long have you been waiting for a pup on those (I know a long time). I'm excited for you! And a little jealous. ;)

Planto

Original Author
    9 years ago

Planto,
    Only about forever. Never had pups on Gold Hahnii before this summer. They grew and grew, got bigger but never pups. Now if I get 'Forescate' and 'Asahi' aka 'Morgenstern's Futura Aurea' then the real celebration will begin.
    Stush

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Stush,
    *crosses fingers*

Planto

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Beautiful!
    I remember long ago something about the alfalfa...
    would you mind helping me find the post.
    We grow alfalfa for the animals. I can make a tea.
    You have the magic touch.
    Karen

Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen,
    Mine was just a guess since I bought a bottle of Alfalfa Tablets. I knew about the benifits of alfalfa so 'use what you got'. Below is a link to more info on Alfalfa.
    From the Dirt Doctor;
    http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Alfalfa-Meal-Tea_vq2223.htm#nogo
    Stush

• FrugalFanny
    9 years ago

Hi Stush,

it's been a long time! no internet at home at the time.

so happy to see all your beautiful plants doing so well!

my sans all seem to be reproducing now. glad i'm doing something right! feels like i've been neglectful, but i suppose they prefer it.

best wishes,
    FF