Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solar_storm

S. guineensis

Solar_Storm
10 years ago

I have long thought that in addition to trifasciata, the other naturalized sansevieria in FL was the one known locally as S guineensis that I thought was a cultivar of S metallica., I just came across an article (see link) where the author, states the species is actually S.hyacinthoides. Here's the text. The photo is my plant

Sansevieria hyacinthoides (L.) Druce, Bot. Exch. Club Soc. Brit. Isles 3: 423. 1914. Aloe hyacinthoides L., Sp. Pl. 1: 321. 1753. Cordyline hyacinthoides (L.) W. Wight, Contr. U.S. Natl. Herb. 9: 249. 1904. LECTOTYPE (designated by Stearn 1961): GUINEA. C. Commelin, Praeludia Bot. 84, t. 33. 1703.
Though Sansevieria hyacinthoides appears to spread vegetatively only, it is widespread in central and south peninsular Florida. It can form dense colonies from its thick, bright orange rhizomes. This species was depicted by Dodge in 1893 (as S. guineensis (L.) Willd.) as a potential fiber crop and may have been introduced to Florida much earlier than 1893 (Henley 1982). The earliest specimen I have seen from Florida was collected by Britton in 1903 from âÂÂwaste placesâ in Key West (NY). I have not seen any herbarium specimens with fruits in Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Author:ALAN R. FRANCK, Univ South FL

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!