Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S. guineensis

Posted by solar_storm 24 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 11:35

I have long thought that in addition to trifasciata, the other naturalized sansevieria in FL was the one known locally as S guineensis that I thought was a cultivar of S metallica., I just came across an article (see link) where the author, states the species is actually S.hyacinthoides. Here's the text. The photo is my plant

Sansevieria hyacinthoides (L.) Druce, Bot. Exch. Club Soc. Brit. Isles 3: 423. 1914. Aloe hyacinthoides L., Sp. Pl. 1: 321. 1753. Cordyline hyacinthoides (L.) W. Wight, Contr. U.S. Natl. Herb. 9: 249. 1904. LECTOTYPE (designated by Stearn 1961): GUINEA. C. Commelin, Praeludia Bot. 84, t. 33. 1703.
Though Sansevieria hyacinthoides appears to spread vegetatively only, it is widespread in central and south peninsular Florida. It can form dense colonies from its thick, bright orange rhizomes. This species was depicted by Dodge in 1893 (as S. guineensis (L.) Willd.) as a potential fiber crop and may have been introduced to Florida much earlier than 1893 (Henley 1982). The earliest specimen I have seen from Florida was collected by Britton in 1903 from “waste places” in Key West (NY). I have not seen any herbarium specimens with fruits in Florida.

Here is a link that might be useful: Author:ALAN R. FRANCK, Univ South FL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S. guineensis

As a Master Gardener I give a program on sansevieria. In research I found out about hyacinthoides. There are several sans that look similar but the bloom is distinct.
When i was first getting started i got a selection of plants from Bob Smoley and I got a hyacinthoides but it has yet to bloom.

o

One of my S. hyacinthoides did bloom, but don't know if it came from FL stock. I probably took a photo of the inflorescence but all I can find is a 2008 photo of the fruit. I'll bet Bob Smoley's stock is the same as what grows wild in Florida. You can get a feel for the diameter of the rhizome by comparing it to the 1/2" wide label. I didn't plant the seed.

o

it's fertile to boot

o

Not necessarily, the seeds might not have been viable. We'll never know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here