Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbmock

Pinguicula's having twins!

barbmock
10 years ago

Last summer I had a pinguicula given to me. I have carefully watched over it for almost a year. It has sat there and stayed exactly the same, not a new leaf or bud, nothing.

This morning I have discovered a tiny shoot on each side! When they get a little bigger, I will post some baby pictures. Happy dance!

Comments (25)

• laura1
    10 years ago

congratulations! I know how you feel. I've had mine coming up 3 years and it finally decided to send some pups. and yes, it just sat there for so long.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

You know you got a good root system when you see pups sprouting. Good for you.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Congrats to you, that's happy news. Looking forward to seeing the pix!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my first baby picture. The offset on the right is about an inch and a half already.

• keylyn
    10 years ago

these grow very slow here but they're extremely cheap but still hard to find in my vicinity unless you do a trip to hound for said plant or you're in a horticultural show.
    though they grow much taller and refined if planted in pots with relative height from observation.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Just like a proud parent. Congradulations.
    k

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

That is extremely cool, love seeing it!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! This is fun to watch.

keylyn, I didn't quite understand. Are you saying that they will grow taller, better in a deeper pot? Tell me more about this.

• binlin
    10 years ago

That's very neat. Mine's producing its first offset too, after having flowered back in March.

This thing produces a ton of extrafloral nectar. I figure in the wild it's meant to attract ants and garner protection for tender growth, but at home it's just a pain to mop up.

Here's an S. eilensis I picked up about a month ago. I think it's finally getting established now.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Rennet,

You have some gorgeous plants! Thanks for posting them.

• laura1
    10 years ago

I don't understand!
    One of the coolest things about this plant is that it is up on stilts like bmock's. I did an image search and almost all were planted level with the soil. What fun is that???

• keylyn
    10 years ago

@bmock
    folks in collection here almost always have their s. pinguicula in unusually tall pots and their stilt roots embraced by whatever medium they are using.
    they would look stretched out, enormous and taller in that way. aren't cascade style bonsai also planted this way with the same principle that plant with large size requires large root system for anchorage and nutrition transition, and theory about the proportional orientation of plant roots-stems and leaves

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting idea about growing the pings in a deeper pot. Rennet's taller plant seems to be a good example of this. Or, are there just differences in the clones?

Laura1, I do like them on stilts. After all, the pups get started up in the air. I think Pinguiculas are so unique. So fierce, and tough, and beautiful at the same time.

• binlin
    10 years ago

@bmock
    There are a lot of differences between the various pinguicula clones. Mine is one of the "Giant" clones which does not form as tight of a rosette as yours, but grows very long and very thick leaves.

I had originally wanted to grow my plant on stilts, but my decision to pot my plant deeply in its pot was mostly driven by the desire to have it root as quickly as possible. My plant spent over a month in the mail. and by the time it arrived from Thailand, all of the roots were dried and dead. By planting it level with the soil, my goal was firstly to keep the plant stable, and secondly to allow the new roots to contact the soil as soon as possible.

That said, I'll definitely be letting the plantlet grow on stilts. I'll probably get a bigger, wider, shallower pot so that I can stage the plant with its baby walking away as per its namesake.

• keylyn
    10 years ago

pinguicula normally grow distinct sets of distichously arranged leaves that are taller after quite a time if given enough room. but it would appear that the giant variation here can grow into a more enormous size.
    but normally the stubbier and more compact plants can reach a foot in height and maybe higher as they mature.

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Very nice plants Kevlyn and Barbara. Barbara, I believe you got the hang of growing Sans in GA! Ha! Almost every picture a person sees of Pinguicula is a juvenile plant that is growing in a rosette. When it is mature, the leaves migrate to form a fan; its quite bizarre! Watch those rhizomes and stilted pups as they will root if they land in an adjacent pot and that makes for some wrinkled eyebrows. Maybe someone here can post a picture of a mature Pinguicula?

• binlin
    10 years ago

Here's an update for mine:

• Michaela
    10 years ago

Thats what I call a GREAT closeup!

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my latest photo. Looks like two arms reaching out. I can see a tiny root trying to push it's way through on mine too.

Rennet, you are making me want some grow lights. You have a fantastic plant.

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

Heck, I might as well show my twins too. I noticed that the stolens are coming out of the ground. Does that mean I've planted the mother too deep?

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Solar Storm, That's a nice ping family. The pups are getting pretty big.

Do you grow yours out in the sun? I was trying to give a few of my plants more sun, so I put them out in the open. But, It has been very cool and rainy lately, so they are back under cover. I read somewhere that they only grow when the temps are high. Not much heat in Georgia this summer.

• Solar_Storm
    10 years ago

My sans are outdoors in the sun all year and most of the daylight hours. I use dark pots to allow the roots to get warm. Most in black plastic. I live close to the coast in SoCal, so the high temps seldom go over 80, and this year has been particularly cool. NOT a good climate for tropical sansevierias.

• barbmock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful climate for people, though.

• binlin
    10 years ago

Since nobody else has posted, I'll leave an update on my plant.

I repotted my S. pinguicula into a shallower, wider pot on Sept. 9 so that the pup and mother plant could both fit into the same pot.

Sept 16th: The pup hasn't yet rooted itself in the pot, but is starting to push out some fleshier, thicker leaves now. I can't wait to see it when it gets bigger.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    10 years ago

Watch-out!! I think I saw this plant on Sci-Fi. And It wasn't nice. It will creap up on you when your sleeping.
    Ha, ha.
    Stush