Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Who am I???

Cena
19 years ago

I have had this plant about three years. And it has grown, but no pups or anything else. It is tough to ID some of these, becasue of juvenile forms and such. This has a pup, it is still under the surface. I just repotted this singlely, because the parent leaf of this one, has a sharp curve and many scars. So, she is off in a corner, hopefully having more children to keep herself busy...

{{gwi:1252724}}
There is no 'seam' but there are these ridges...

{{gwi:1252726}}
The ever present soda can for size and scale...

{{gwi:1252728}}

Comments (17)

• Solar_Storm
    19 years ago

Geez Cena, let me be the first to guess . . . I can't be embarassed. How about sulcata or canaliculata? Its hard to tell if the leaf had grooves or ribs - that probably would make a difference.

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

That's amazing. I wouldn't want to hazard a guess at an ID, but it looks very unusual.

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Hi Cena,

What abt Cylindrica? I've got a young one, some of whose leaves have ridges & some do not. I've certainly seen them get quite big & tall.

Or even (WAG) Singularis?

Are you not finding anything similar in Hermine's book/

• birdsnestsoup
    19 years ago

Hi Cena,

Looks like S. cylindrica v cylindrica (as opposed to v patula) to me. When in full growth & well watered you'll find that the grooves disappear & it would appear much smoother. Kept on the dry side you get these grooves or ridges with many of the cylindrical types.

• Cena
    Original Author
    19 years ago

SS, thank you for being SO brave. Do you suggest a site or reference to look up those that you named?

PG Karen, I had thought it singularis, and at one time, pearsonii. Who knows? I never took H. up on her offer of photocopying her book, so I don't have it as a reference. With these tubular ones, it is soooooo hard to make a definitive stance on name. It is almost easier to wait for an expert to view in person!

BNS, thanks for the offering. Do you have a site, or reference that I can go look at myself. This is the one that I was asking you about IDing. To my eyes, it doesn't have the same structure as my S. fischerii, but that begs the question, 'What IS it?'

I got so excited when I realized that it was producing a pup! Bonus. After sitting there doing nothing for three years!

I have been watering two and three times a week lately, and this picture was taken just as lately. Last week. So, the groves seem to be there, maybe to stay. My hallii, just in front is sending up a new leaf, seams to be an everyother year type of thing for some of these. But both have been getting much more water than before. I mist, more than I water. I have a wand thingy, and I spend time out there cooling down, misting my stuff.

Thanks for everyones efforts on 'our' behalf. If anyone has a site, or info to share, I'm listening.

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Hi Cena,

Sorry, I didn't realize you didn't have Hermine's book. I don't know if yr. C&S society has a lending library, if so, they may have it. If not, perhaps Jeff can lend you his copy, I know he has it (as I got my copy from him).

Although her book doesn't always result in a definitive answer, it often gives me at least a clue. HTH

Karen

• bcstan
    19 years ago

I have this sans. Last year I used a couple of the leaves in a flower arrangement in a show, then when I got home I cut it in pieces and stuck the pieces in potting soil. I now have several new plants. The friend that gave me my origingal plant said it was cylindrica, but it does not grow quite like the ones by that name that I saw in South Sfrica. I am still looking for that one.

• entwife
    19 years ago

Does it have a slightly rough texture? Are you sure it isn't Bacularis?

Cyndi

• Cena
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, Cyndi, it does have rough texture. I wouldn't know enough to even guess it might not be 'Bacularis'? What reference are you using to get this ID from? That would be a good place to start...

• entwife
    19 years ago

Well, I have a Bacularis, thats the only reference I have, lol. I'm sure not an expert! It just looks kind of like my plant. I'll take a pic of it today, and attempt to post it later....

Cyndi

• birdsnestsoup
    19 years ago

Hi all,

S. bacularis is usually thin (pencil thin). The plant in your picture looks much thicker. S. bacularis doesn't have pronounced crossbanding either.

Please see my pictures in my webshots albums. Plese Cena can you bring the post out so that folks can see the link again. This applies to the other question about baseball vs Leopard bat. I'm sure looking at these pictures can help folk with ID. There is a search facility on that Webshots page too.

• Cena
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is the post to the link to BNS's wonderful albums. I'm off to go through them again, to look for my NoID, also.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sansevieria/hpgal041800155440.html?12

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get to the link

• Cena
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Latest baby picture. I have a series of growth charting pics, but how boring is that?

Anyway, I was astonished to slightly turn the pot and find yet another surprise! Oh, I got a new camera, too.

NoID.
    {{gwi:1252730}}

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

Oh Cena there's nothing boring about growth charting pics! I love them.

Love that new leaf, fabulous plant.

• mairzy_dotes
    19 years ago

Great Cena. That one looks like my fisherii (sp). Or did that name change to singularus?

• kniphofia
    19 years ago

Check out ebay Cena, Karole has a plant for sale under the name of Fla H-13 which looks very much like yours.

• jon_d
    19 years ago

I have H-13, and it is a different plant. It is a hybrid from the USDA which makes fans of very tall leaves that can get 7 feet tall. This plant is probably S. stuckyi, a very nice species which has a fat cylindrical vertical leaf, one to a growth, that has a slight keel on one side.