Return to the Sansevieria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 Sansevieria on Clearance - Help ID?

Posted by markparsons435 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 13:13

I got 3 Sansevieria on clearance at Lowes. I never knew there was more than the one kind my grandmother had (I know I know, don't laugh) - Since then I've been looking and noticing different kinds.

All three of these had the same label - Sansevieria trifasciata - however, I don't know which they are. I think I've determined one is cylindrica -

photo IMG_9807a_zpsaf9a8c9d.jpg

I'm going to keep reading on these but thought I would post here to see if anyone could help

This one has much wider leaves than what I'm used to seeing at my grandmother's .. and much more "gold/yellow" on the edges

photo IMG_9809_zpsa317aadb.jpg

And this one was thinner than my grandmother's

photo IMG_9808a_zpsba200023.jpg

I appreciate any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 Sansevieria on Clearance - Help ID?

EA lists 2 Sans available. Looks the one on the left.

o

The nursery that supplies Lowes is a big commercial establishment and buys in large bulk from China. China sends some really great stuff because their climate is so good for growing Sans. Names are always a problem with them. I did buy the same things at my Lowes. Here's what you have; 1st. one is cylindrica. And a nice one at that. Rooted stems that are now growing their own families. The 2nd. is Sans. tri.~ Futura Black Gold. Also growing great with pups coming up. The 3rd. is Bantal's Sensation. If you de-pot it, you will find maybe 6 different ones together in that pot all together.
And you got them on sale yet. What a deal. Good start to a great collection.

o

In my haste yesterday, I realize I didn't say, my comment was in regard to the middle plant. If Stush thinks it's something else, I'd probably go with what he said, he's much more into the cultivar names.

BTW, I didn't know EA was in China. I thought they were in Apopka, FL.

o

What great information - thank you both so much!

o

purple,
I said that it was a commercial establishment and buys in large bulk from China. Not that they are in China. By China I also mean Singapore or Thailand or surrounding areas. I have seen their adds selling commercial wholesale only. Maybe they do grow some of their own stuff but most import and pass the savings on to us.
I might be wrong with my guess, so if someone knowns better, please correct me.
Stush

o

OT-EA was started in 1971 in Apopka Florida but now has 10 locations with greenhouses.

Here is a link that might be useful: more about EA

o

Thanks for the link, Laura. I've read an older version of it, and still doesn't say anything about growing anywhere but FL, unless I missed it.

Stush, since I could see the EA tag, I had assumptions about that one plant. Sorry if that wasn't clear from what I said, and for pointing it out so I could explain.

It's hard to imagine shipping plants from China to be sold for a few dollars to be profitable. Those containers that ship so cheaply do so on ships that take weeks, then take time to be inspected, unloaded, get put on a train or truck to go to a warehouse for more sorting for shipment to individual stores. Maybe flying them would still leave room for profit at their prices, IDK, just seems unlikely to me. I'm curious too, you raise an interesting point.

o

Check this link out. it shows what I mean. When you click on the image, it takes you to their site. Also some of mine pictures are here as well as some here.
Link;
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&biw=1243&bih=904&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Sansevieria+guineensis&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=#q=Sansevieria+guineensis&hl=en&safe=active&gbv=2&tbm=isch&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=7700ce38f60ce12b&biw=1024&bih=510

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Sansevieria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here